Actual Useful Apps?

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
So far, I haven't found a single app that I'd call useful. Many are just toys, gimmicks or wishful thinking. Like the camera app that has digital zoom, a timer, etc. They expect you to pay for the main features. Well, all that would be great if the camera itself was decent. I've tried to set up the voice dial app, but so far it hasn't worked. The voice recorded caused my iPhone to lock up last night (slight panic), so I dumped that. The games have been mainly...ho-hum.

What apps do you consider really useful?

Scott

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
So far, I haven't found a single app that I'd call useful. Many are just toys, gimmicks or wishful thinking. Like the camera app that has digital zoom, a timer, etc. They expect you to pay for the main features. Well, all that would be great if the camera itself was decent. I've tried to set up the voice dial app, but so far it hasn't worked. The voice recorded caused my iPhone to lock up last night (slight panic), so I dumped that. The games have been mainly...ho-hum.

Scott
OpenSSh, BSD subsystem, MobileChat, MobileFinder, SendSong, MakeItMine, GuitarChods, and TuneWiki.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
You really need to define "useful" to get an accurate response. I have several that I find useful for passing time (iSlots, iSolitaire, Domino, etc..). I have several that are useful utilities that I use all the time (Swap Library, Finder, Term-vt100, etc..) and I have several that are useful just for fun (Wallpaper when it worked, iRadio, Pianist, Drummer, Guitarist, Sketches).

H

Hayesimus

not to mention your mandatory apps. like Summerboard, customize, and uh... well the ones like that. I also really like the springdial app that allows you to create your own direct dial icons.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
not to mention your mandatory apps. like Summerboard, customize, and uh... well the ones like that. I also really like the springdial app that allows you to create your own direct dial icons.
Hey thanks, I've been looking for an App like that!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I like Springdial a lot as well.
Search = search Contacts and Calendar
Books = ebook reader
Wedict = encyclopedia / dictionary aggregator
MobileTwitter = mobile Twitter client
Vnotes = voice notes app
TimeCapsule = backup program
BossPrefs = toggle On and Off your Bluetooth, WiFi, SSh, lots more
BossTool = helps regain space for installing more useful apps
Xlaunch = apps launcher
Sysinfo = info on system and running processes
Contacts = places an icon for the Contacts Applet on home screen
iFlickr = easy Flickr photo uploader
SyncJe = wireless Google Calendar (and other SyncML servers) sync
VNSea = VNC client
Touchpad = virtual touchpad
Caissa = chess game
Real Artist = keeps my daughter entertained
MxTube = download YouTube vids
And more, but that'll do for now ...

davpel

Jun 22, 2007
I like Springdial a lot as well.
Search = search Contacts and Calendar
Books = ebook reader
Wedict = encyclopedia / dictionary aggregator
MobileTwitter = mobile Twitter client
Vnotes = voice notes app
TimeCapsule = backup program
BossPrefs = toggle On and Off your Bluetooth, WiFi, SSh, lots more
BossTool = helps regain space for installing more useful apps
Xlaunch = apps launcher
Sysinfo = info on system and running processes
Contacts = places an icon for the Contacts Applet on home screen
iFlickr = easy Flickr photo uploader
SyncJe = wireless Google Calendar (and other SyncML servers) sync
VNSea = VNC client
Touchpad = virtual touchpad
Caissa = chess game
Real Artist = keeps my daughter entertained
MxTube = download YouTube vids
And more, but that'll do for now ...
What source do I need to add to get MobileTwitter? I've looked and looked and haven't been able to find it.

Thanks.

H

Hayesimus

Oh yeah! and just FYI, if you use springboard but want to change the icon for someone... firstly, in order to have a pic of the friend show up you will have to have a photo saved as their contact picture or else all the icon will be is a spring. Then you can change the icons as you would any other app. If you get the spring(because you didn't have a pic as their contact photo) then you try to change the icon. It won't work. It will remain a spring. I ran into this problem before i realized why. Just fyi. :p

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks, guys. I know that a lot depends on what your particular needs and interests are. I'm trying to find a notes editor that works. I have a big chunck of text I want to put in a note and I'm too lazy to type it all. I tried one program but it didn't work.

PocketTouch for the iPod is pretty useful I learned, though not really for me. I can see how the simple interface would make no-eyes control convenient.

Scott

ceegra

May 21, 2009
help ? manual download

Scott
hi sweetheart
how do i manually put twitter to my iPhone?

please help am an old gal so not to tech

thanks
ceegra