Adapters - limitations?

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by jaw2k9, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

I ordered (as some here know) the 8 to 30 pin after market adapters. So far, 1 works for charging ONLY. And the other does not work at all.

So, off to the online Apple store I go to see exactly what they are supposed to do, and then off to ebay and Amazon I go to see what miracle claims exist.

And now; still kinda lost.

It seems the cables are for charging ONLY - that some will (maybe by accident) transmit music but that may be just luck? The adapter that plugs in direct (whatever it's called) is it supposed to transmit and receive information and permit charging? Most (all?) of us have peripheral devices which we use or like for music, radios, clocks, who knows what. Am I to believe that all that stuff is purely landfill material now?

Please advise what the claims are, and what the realities are.

I want to be able to charge the phone when necessary, at work, ok, I can do that with the one cable that works.

I want to be able to plug into the existing car cable that I have for my Optima Hybrid and play and charge the phone (won't work at all with either cable I presently own).

I want to use my altec lansing plug in desktop speaker system (whatever it's called) to play music - if it charges as well - that's a plus, it's not mandatory.

Thanks!

2. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

The new lightning cables and adapters are still too new for anyone to have made them to perform the same as Apple's version.
    Plus, with iOS 6, there are issues with devices that worked in iOS 5, that no longer work with 6. Half of my most commonly used accessories are now useless to me because of this. I was able to update my alarm clock with new firmware to get my music to play through it, but my Griffin auto pilot and several other devices don't.
    So it's already a mixed bag as what will work and what won't. Using knock off adapters is just setting yourself up for more disappointment.

3. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

I bought the Lightning to 30 pin adapter (0.2m) from Apple for the cable in my car and it works perfectly - charging AND audio.

4. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Hawk - getting non-OEM does not bother me, what bothers me to be honest is what Apple is charging. The knockoffs are usually reverse engineered and tested and/or stolen design duplicates (just like a lot of cloned/fake/knockoff golf clubs and other pacific rim made stuff).

One reason for me creating this thread is a different part of what you said though - and that's what works and what does not and is it the cable/adapter or firmware or just luck?

Another reason was that on the Apple site, there were/are comments from people who bought the Apple cable adapter who are having the same problem I am having - they won't work with certain things or they only charge or something.

I just want to know if the cable adapter is supposed to work one way while the adapter plug is supposed to work another.

As to the car - I can blue tooth the radio - so that's not a problem - but if I could connet via the cable (as I used to), I'd prefer to go that route.

Anyway - your post was informative thanks.

5. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Furndaddy - can you share with us what kind of car? Maybe the age? OEM radio?

I'm curious, and glad it works for you as it should (or as I am assuming it should).

Thanks.

6. furndaddy

furndaddy Contributor
    Bronze

2005 Honda Odyssey EX; OEM radio. Since the radio has no auxiliary jack, I had an ihome cable installed which enables me to utilize my phone to play music or, in my case, listen to my ESPN radio app.

7. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Interesting. My car does have the auxiliary jack. And the OEM cable is a 2 part thing (that which is plugged in) part 1 is the round rca (?) type jack, and part 2 is the USB jack. They 'morph' into the old style iPhone jack. So, with my iPhone 4, I was able to plug in and listen AND charge. And that was after the update to iOS 6.

Now, I attach the adapter cable to that, and I can ONLY charge. Yet the screen on my console indicates that something is plugged in.

It's not a huge deal, as I have the phone set up for bluetooth to the car, it's more the principle of the thing.

As Mel Brooks would say "Harrumph."

8. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I found a stereo that I was considering as a replacement for my factory Bose system, and was reading the reviews. The iPhone 4 & 4s work just fine with this model, but it does not support the iPhone 5.
    This prompted a new search to see what is listed as compatible with the iPhone 5 (in double din size) and so far nothing comes up. Alpine even tested the phone on their units and reports- along with thousands of consumers- that the ip5 does not work with their units. This refers to both the lightning to USB cable as well as streaming Bluetooth.
    And that is not saying all head units are like this. We have members that aren't having any problems at all. But it's very hit or miss at this point.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The short and 0.2 m adapters I bought have supported charging and audio on everything I've thrown at them so far.

10. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Hawk - why wouldn't streaming bluetooth work? I am not a bluetooth expert, but that sounds odd/wrong. I suspect that many items have simply not (maybe) been tested for use with ip5? Thus they don't want the liability - my issue is why wouldn't an aftermarket item (that does work - for say charging) not work for something else - say audio.

Oh well.

11. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Thanks E.

And I am assuming all of yours are OEM? No clones/dups/fakes or othernames for aftermarket items?

12. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

That's the part that no one can seem to answer. It's very hit or miss apparently. Some units with USB connectors will charge, but no audio, some that are BT capable drop connection a lot, or cannot pair.
    Again, this is what I'm reading, even though I have had similar experiences with some of my devices. My Sony alarm clock used to play my music and video just fine from my iPhone. When I upgraded and got my adapter, I had to go to Sony's website and find a 14 month old firmware update and flash the clock so I could have music again, and it is still hit or miss trying to have it play automatically (for an alarm) from the phone like it did for my iPhone 4

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Thanks - that helps. Are you using strictly OEM or aftermarket adapters?

14. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I have that expensive as hell OEM adapter.

15. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

Oy, that's not good - for it to work in some things and not work in others.

16. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

The Lightning to 30 pin adapters (both the stub and the cable) provide USB & serial connectivity to an accessory, and convert the iPhone's digital audio to analog audio when the analog audio lines are being requested by the accessory. They do not provide video output, so head units that have video screens may or may not be able to use the iPhone depending on which mode it's using to communicate.

So, if the head unit is expecting analog audio, the Lightning adapter negotiates digital audio with the iPhone and converts it to analog for the head unit. If it gets audio purely through USB, that will also work with the Lightning adapter (in that case just passing the USB audio through).

If the head unit is still not getting audio, there are a couple things you can try - check what audio output your iPhone is attempting to play out of. If there are multiple audio outputs that the iPhone recognizes, then right next to the volume control on the multitasking dock (double click and scroll to the left a couple pages) should be a button that you can tap to bring up the audio outputs list. Or if you are using the music app, it should also be right there at the bottom.

If you see "Dock Connector" and it is not currently selected, tap that. I've seen sometimes that if a Bluetooth device connects that is capable of playing audio, the iPhone switches to it instead, even if you're connected to a head unit or dock.

Another thing to try is a cable from the iPhone's headphone jack to the head unit's AUX jack -- maybe the head unit is smart enough to play the audio from there (double check the audio outputs list as stated above to see if the iPhone has an option for "Headphones").

The reason the Lightning adapters are so expensive is because of all of the circuitry in there. Because there is no analog audio on the Lightning port, it has to include a digital to analog converter in the adapter and talk to the phone over USB to make that happen so that accessories that use analog audio can still work. It's actually doing a remarkable amount of work for a tiny little $30-40 dongle.

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Replying again to attach pictures, sorry, can't seem to attach from the edit post page.

ImageUploadedByiCafe1355183198.886967.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe1355183214.003720.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe1355183220.361177.jpg

18. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

MANY THANKS - I will take a look and give these suggestions a try and report back.

19. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

If you click the name, it hyperlinks to the Apple Store website. So, they are not aftermarket, but OEM.

Sent using iCafe app

20. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Just figured out something.
    The 6.0.2 update fixed my not being able to use the 30 pin to lightning connector with my griffin auto pilot.
    On a whim, I tested it again today and it worked! The last time I tested it was with iOS 6.0

Sent using iCafe app