Add a line for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rafagon, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hi, sorry if this is common knowledge, but I don't own an iPad, so I don't know. I got an email from AT&T today suggesting that the iPad 2 is the perfect reason to add a line. When you have a 3G iPad, do you get a phone number on the data line, even if the iPad can't make phone calls? Why do they want you to add a line, if they aren't going to subsidize the cost of the iPad? I'm sure there's a simple answer. :)

It goes on to say that "Getting an iPad® 2 is easy when you add a line of service with a qualifying data plan.

Limited-Time Offer." How is it easier than simply getting that same iPad 2 and not adding the data plan?

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

Attached Files:

2. Brett123

Brett123 New Member

Nope, no phone number, the line just entitles it to use 3G data. It requires a monthly payment just like a regular phone.

3. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

There are two types of iPad. Wifi and wifi with sim. The second will be yours to allow phone calls.

iHolophyte

4. Brett123

Brett123 New Member

You can't make phone calls on the iPad without a 3rd party app. The 3G iPad doesn't have a phone app.

5. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Why does it have a sim then? (I'm in the UK...Maybe different)

iHolophyte

6. Brett123

Brett123 New Member

From Wirefly.com

The point is, the iPad doesn't have a cell phone plan, nor can it utilize one. Check what I bolded above. Plus, without a dedicated app for making phone calls, you can't make them. The iPad doesn't have a stock phone app so you'd need to download a calling app from the App Store. Sure, it can make phone calls, but not without a third party app to do so.

7. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks for the information. Appreciated :)

iHolophyte

8. Brett123

Brett123 New Member

No problem. :)

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you very much. I noticed you mentioned above that with a third-party app you can make phone calls on the iPad? Would those be VoIP calls or regular calls like on an iPhone?

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

VoIP. It can't do cellular calls. The 3G connection is for data/internet.

11. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Ahhhh, yes I remember now. The sales person saying wifi only you need wifi spots, with a sim you can use 3G. And I thought I ain't walking around the street with one of these in my hand, my iPhones good enough for that, so chose the wifi only. Now Europa mentioned it, it all came back! Thanks Europa.

iHolophyte