add iPhone 3G to my current plan?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i have a 2 year contract with AT&T until march of 2010, and i have no need to get the iPhone 3g. however my little sister wants to get a 3g iPhone. i'm wondering if there is an advantage to adding her to my plan, or if she should just get her own plan? no worries here about credit or anything like that, both single as well, so whatever would be the smartest we're gonna do. any advice is appreciated.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
i have a 2 year contract with AT&T until march of 2010, and i have no need to get the iPhone 3g. however my little sister wants to get a 3g iPhone. i'm wondering if there is an advantage to adding her to my plan, or if she should just get her own plan? no worries here about credit or anything like that, both single as well, so whatever would be the smartest we're gonna do. any advice is appreciated.
Provided that she is not a minute/text hog, then I would recommend a family plan, as it's much cheaper than having a bunch of individual plans. The savings really add up with more people. I have both my parents and myself on the same plan, and am thinking about adding my fiancee as well.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
Provided that she is not a minute/text hog, then I would recommend a family plan, as it's much cheaper than having a bunch of individual plans. The savings really add up with more people. I have both my parents and myself on the same plan, and am thinking about adding my fiancee as well.
well we both text A TON, but i have unlimited text, i have the lowest plan (450 min and 5000 night and weekend) and have yet to even come close to using up my minutes in a month.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
my wife and i have unlimited text (family plan) for our iPhones . You do save a little bit of money if you do the family plan vs each having your own plan with unlimited text.

the family plan text is 30 bucks i think and it is 40 for unlimited (internet and txt)

we pay the 20 internet plan each plus 30 for family text vs 40 each having unlimited on each iPhone saves 10 bucks

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
gotcha, ok so if i sign up for a family plan and add the phone to it, any idea if she would have to be there to activate it (as the 3g is supposed to be activated in the store) or if i could do it and take it to her. reason i ask this is we don't live in the same city, but we are both meeting in vegas weekend of july 11th. so i could get the phone and give it to her when i see her out there. i'm assuming this won't work, but i might as well ask.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
i read somewhere that you would be able to take it with you but you would have to sign a contract at the store saying it will be activated within 30days i don't know how that would work if your not there to put her on you account though

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
gotcha, ok so if i sign up for a family plan and add the phone to it, any idea if she would have to be there to activate it (as the 3g is supposed to be activated in the store) or if i could do it and take it to her. reason i ask this is we don't live in the same city, but we are both meeting in vegas weekend of july 11th. so i could get the phone and give it to her when i see her out there. i'm assuming this won't work, but i might as well ask.
If you're the owner of the account, then you can add the line and give it to her. It'll be under your name until you sign into the account online and change things. Also, if you want the v2 caller ID to show her name instead of yours, you'll need to call CS.

Joe