Adding a Credit Card to an iTunes Account

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Rafagon, May 1, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

For a rather long time now, every time I've added money to my iTunes account, I've done it via iTunes Gift Cards. Today, I happen to be $2 short for an emergency, medically necessary music purchase on the iTunes Store. I don't have an unspent iTunes Gift Card lying around, and I don't own a car to go somewhere and purchase one. The nearest place would involve me physically walking ten minutes to get there and another ten minutes to get back, and the unnecessary burning of at least two hundred calories. Using the lovely public transportation system in Miami would take an even longer amount of time. So, it Chaps My Hide that I can't figure out how to add $2 from my credit card to my iTunes balance. This is absolute bollocks.

Yes, I Googled various permutations and combinations of keywords such as "buy purchase add funds money iTunes" but the results were disappointingly useless.

One of the very first results after one of those searches was:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5057?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

But, please look at the webpage that results after clicking on that URL (note the neon green circles). Last time I checked, &locale=en_US at the end of a URL meant English and United States.

China.jpg

Just for feces and giggles, even though I don't live in China, I carefuly followed the directions given. However, I found no option, button, icon, or other tappable area on the iPhone screen to allow me to add a given dollar amount to my iTunes balance from a credit card. I even re-entered all of my credit card info, but I just kept getting thrown back to this screen:

cantadd.jpg

As you might've guessed, I've scrolled up and down on that screen, and no luck.

I'm hoping that this is where @Napoleon Dynamite will step in and tell me there's a magenta-colored plus sign somewhere on the screen that's staring at me straight in the face.

PS: I also found this support document through a Google search:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21236504#21236504

A person going by the username "alexiuslee" wrote, in a comment on 15 January 2014, that "well, they used to provide the link "add money" in iTunes, but they don't, now." Apparently, I'm not the only one who cannot find the option.

Oh and yes, I searched on eiC, but no luck here either:

eicssearch.jpg

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

#1 Rafagon, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why not go to iTunes on your phone and enter your credit card info?

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

tl;dr You're lazy? Twenty minute walk? :)

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I did that. After I re-entered all the credit card information, it would keep throwing me back to the screen I posted above (the second of the three screenshots I included in that post). It never asked me to enter a dollar amount to withdraw from my credit card. Try it for yourself if you have the time available... maybe you'll catch something that I missed.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

When I was trying to lose weight last year, I went on various two- and three-hour "jog-walks" at least twice a week. At this point in my life, I'm not in the weight-losing mindset.

Do I sense you're skirting around the point? :D

Why has something so simple (and lucrative for them) been made so tediously difficult to accomplish? Of course, I'll eat all my words as soon as you tell me where that magenta plus sign is hiding today.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You brought up the subject of the walk. I didn't.

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Why not just link your CC to your iTunes account? Or are you afraid that would lead to willy-nilly purchasing that couldn't be accomplished by willy-nilly adding funds? I tried to read the posts a couple times so please forgive me if I missed where you addressed the problem with my suggestion.

And yes, if something is medically necessary and you're unwilling to walk a 20 minute round trip then you are
    L-A-Z-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you're just LAZY! :D ;)

#7 Kadelic, May 1, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You're on your computer. I suggested you simply go on your phone to iTunes and enter your CC info.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Sir, I was doing all that (entering my CC information on my iPhone) while typing out all that crap extremely interesting account of my experience while trying to add money to my iTunes account on my iMac.

Did you see the second screenshot in my post? That's an iPhone screenshot, not an OS X screenshot:

cantadd.jpg

@Kadelic Yes, my credit card (technically it's my debit card) is linked to my iTunes. I re-entered all the information twice this morning. However, my bank balance is less than the $2 that I need to complete my purchase. However, my current iTunes balance + $1 (an amount which is available on my debit card) would be sufficient to cover my purchase. Pathetic, I know.

#9 Rafagon, May 1, 2014
  10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

@Rafagon, Please start a thread if you don't know how to add a credit card to iTunes and don't want to walk to the store for a gift card.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I sincerely apologize; do you as a mod have a command at your disposal to spin the post off into its own thread for me?

A suitable title, IMHO, would be "Adding funds from a credit card to your iTunes account".

Sorry for the trouble. @Europa .

PS: I guess here would be a good place for it:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/forums/itunes/

Yes, of course I know how to add a credit card to iTunes, I simply do not know how to move a specific amount of money of my choosing (say, $1) to my iTunes balance.

#11 Rafagon, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thread moved. You can't add a set amount. The choices are to add your debit or credit card with its full amount available, get a burner/refillable debit card, or buy iTunes gift cards.

#12 Europa, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

O.M.G.! Get a credit card just for iTunes. Then any purchase can be billed to THAT credit card. End of story.