Adding a new line

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by rollinfromhell, Sep 19, 2013.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

I want to add a new line to get my iPhone 5S. I want to keep all my plan , features, etc (grandfathered data mainly). Is there a way I can add a new line, then swap my old iPhones sim from my 4s into the new phone to keep my grandfathered data? Will this work?

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

What carrier ?
    I always do this on AT&T but since you got a micro sim and need a nano sim you have to get to the store.

3. rollinfromhell

Gold

AT&T. So how would this exactly work iMutter? It would be great so we could do this and explain this easily to AT&T.;

#3 rollinfromhell, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Two phones for yourself? That will end up costing you a lot more over the course of two years than an early upgrade or full cost iPhone. Are you eligible for a partial discount? If you aren't eligible for a discount, you still don't lose any money in the long run. You'll pay $200 more than partial prices tomorrow, but you'll make it up next year when you save $450 total instead of just $200 two years in a row. If you still want to get a second line, you can keep your old plan on the old line with the new phone, but you'll have one of the new plans on the old phone. Don't activate it in the store. Instead call AT&T after you get it but before you activate it. There is an option to activate a phone on a different number than it was ordered for. You can cut your 4S SIM card down to size for the 5S with a knife or scissors or you can get one at AT&T.

5. rollinfromhell

Gold

No, not two phones for myself haha. This is a question regarding my brothers line; as he wants to upgrade in a few weeks himself. He has a 4s, but he upgraded last year in February before the 5. And couldn't get the 5 last year. He doesn't have the immediate money to dish out 510 bucks for a partial discount, 260 is more affordable.

We are already paying for a line that's on hold that AT&T is waiving a cancellation fee for, so it'll end up the same price we're paying for now because that line will be gone as of October 3rd.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Gotcha. Yeah, that should work. Just call AT&T before you activate it.