Adding New Music in iTunes

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Richard_P_Harvey, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Richard_P_Harvey

Bronze

This may actually be a stupid or newbie question so I apologize in advance if it is. I have a large music repository on a NAS box, some 100GB of full albums. When I first set-up iTunes I added that monster folder to the iTunes library but set it to NOT copy any of the files to the local PC due to it's size. When I add albums to this large repository they do not show up in iTunes. I would have expected that there would be an "update" library feature but I can't find one. If I simply play the new album in iTunes it gets added automatically which is cool but I would much rather be able to tell iTunes to re-scan that big external folder for any newly added files. Any thoughts....? Thanks much.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

With your big box connected to your computer, AND with iTunes set NOT to copy as you stated, hit Command-O on Mac (or the Windows equivalent of File > Add to Library) and select that whole drive. This will scan the drive and add all the new additions without duplicating the existing files.

#2 Kadelic, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  3. Richard_P_Harvey

Bronze

Thanks Kadelic but that does not work, tried it many times and just again now and it's a no go, unless I'm doing something wrong of course. I'm on a Windows 7 machine, when I select Crtl-O and select the MP3 folder holding all my tunes there is no way to complete the selection at the top level folder. I can drill down further into artist and then album folders and once I get into a folder with actual MP3 files I can then select it but I can't figure out how to get it to scan at the top level folder. My disk hierarchy is as follows:

Disk #1
    ............|__MP3
    ........................|__Artist Name
    ...............................................|__ Album Name
    .........................................................................|__ MP3's Here

So I'm looking for iTunes to scan from the second level above or the MP3 folder and add anything new. I even tried to map the MP3 folder in Windows and that made no difference.

#3 Richard_P_Harvey, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013