Adding songs to smart playlists?

Discussion in 'iPod Classic' started by php111, Mar 31, 2013.

1. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

I have the iPod Classic 160GB with the latest version of iTunes on my Windows desktop PC.

Does anyone on here use smart playlists? I never used them so that is why I am asking my questions. I used playlists and still do, but never smart playlists.

I created a new Smart Playlist with the rule "album" "is".

I would like to add my songs to the smart playlist, like every album would have its own smart playlist with their proper track songs. I tried doing a drag&drop, but its not adding, but with a normal playlist the drag&drop works? Am I doing something wrong? What would be the best and easiest possible way to do what I'm asking?

I hope someone would reply back and to try help me. I have been searching for my answers, but I can't find anything. I could only find how to create a smart playlist, but not how to add songs like what I am asking to do.

Thank you,

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You cannot drag songs into Smart Playlists. You specify the rule for the Smart Playlist, and iTunes generates the list for you (and provides live updating from then on--any future songs added to iTunes fitting the criteria you specified for the list will automatically be added to the list as long as the list exists).

Giving each and every album in your library its own Smart Playlist can be viewed as redundant, for you could simply display your library by album view. You can then click on the album to play it.

I'm unaware of any method to automatically generate a Smart Playlist for every album in your collection. As far as I know, you would have to make each one yourself. You could right-click on each album and select "New Playlist from Selection," but this doesn't create a Smart Playlist. May I ask if there is something specific you're trying to accomplish by having a Smart Playlist for each separate album in your collection, like maybe selecting which albums to sync to your iPod? (Because if so, you can select individual albums to sync in iTunes without having to create a Smart Playlist.)

3. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

I guess Smart Playlists for me won't be good? Would you recommend creating a simple playlist for each and every album?

I don't like the idea my albums would be all mixed together without any playlists.

Also, would it be a good idea to create folders to put my playlists in? Or would that be a no?

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Personally, I don't think you should. But if you have a small enough library, and you're keen on the Playlist thing, then go for it.

As I'm sure you're aware, you can click on Albums at the top of the iTunes application window and your music will be listed by album. That alone gets rid of the "all mixed together" appearance that you get if you have "Songs" selected.

albums.jpg

Additionally, if you have "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" (under Preferences > Advanced Preferences) checked, then your actual music files will reside in separate folders on your HD. Songs from the same album will be placed in their own folder, and album folders from the same artist will in turn be placed in a folder for that artist and only that artist.

I don't think you need to create folders to put the playlists, or playlist files (*.m3u) for that matter, in. Let iTunes handle that for you.

5. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Thank you!

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You're quite welcome!