adds draining battery?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rsmith

Aug 30, 2007
Hey guys, I just got an iPhone and love it. I was lucky enough to get one with 1.1.1 so I could start hacking it right away, then I add some sources and added something that made my phone go into a loop status. So I add to restore my phone and that made it go to 1.1.2. So I had to downgrade, which I did and now I am running a hacked 1.1.2, but now with my question I have added some apps and my battery dies in one day, I have 5 games, nes emulator with 3 games, a couple of themes, iphysics, mms, iapp-a-day, audio amp, calld, customize, ilevel, smsd, taskbar notifier, mobile scrobbler, and services. Is anyone of these running down my battery that you guys know of? Sorry for the long history.

Ryan

addy005

Bronze
Dec 10, 2007
Depending on how much time you spend on lets say games/apps. The drainage of your battery will fluctuate. Turning off WI-FI and and dimming down the screen brightness will improve your battery life as well.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Hey guys, I just got an iPhone and love it. I was lucky enough to get one with 1.1.1 so I could start hacking it right away, then I add some sources and added something that made my phone go into a loop status. So I add to restore my phone and that made it go to 1.1.2. So I had to downgrade, which I did and now I am running a hacked 1.1.2, but now with my question I have added some apps and my battery dies in one day, I have 5 games, nes emulator with 3 games, a couple of themes, iphysics, mms, iapp-a-day, audio amp, calld, customize, ilevel, smsd, taskbar notifier, mobile scrobbler, and services. Is anyone of these running down my battery that you guys know of? Sorry for the long history.

Ryan
Install 10 applications and spend just 15 minutes playing with each ... and that's two and a half hours gone before you start using it like a mobile phone. I fill my car up with petrol. It might last me a week, but put my foot down and I can empty the tank in about 6 hours. Mobile batteries , very similar.

rsmith

Aug 30, 2007
Install 10 applications and spend just 15 minutes playing with each ... and that's two and a half hours gone before you start using it like a mobile phone. I fill my car up with petrol. It might last me a week, but put my foot down and I can empty the tank in about 6 hours. Mobile batteries , very similar.
I understand that, but when I put my phone down and it has 3/4 of a battery life remaining and I pick it up the next morning and I get the warning that I only have 10% battery life left, something is running it down.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I understand that, but when I put my phone down and it has 3/4 of a battery life remaining and I pick it up the next morning and I get the warning that I only have 10% battery life left, something is running it down.
In that case , yes. If wifi and bluetooth are off, and the phone is turning off? - You should have the phone set to auto-lock in 1 minute... then there's something wrong. If I put mine down and pick it up two days later there's hardly any change in remaining battery.

mikelarry

Oct 10, 2007
Also try turning off SSH if you have it on. If you use Service.app, make sure you have completely disabled the feature(s) before closing the program.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I never had a problem with the battery by leaving wifi on, having it lock in 3 minutes, and having the brightness at the default level or even a little higher. I do have bluetooth off and mail set to manual, though. I don't believe that those two alone can cause a bettery drain like the one you describe. Something is fishy.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
SSH is a big battery drain.

Also, I tried out the mobile scrobbler yesterday and it appears once you start it up, it's always running (based on the fact it puts itself in your task bar). I'm thinking this probably is decreasing battery life as well.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
SSH is a big battery drain.

Also, I tried out the mobile scrobbler yesterday and it appears once you start it up, it's always running (based on the fact it puts itself in your task bar). I'm thinking this probably is decreasing battery life as well.

i agree with the above post ssh will dominate your battery well atleast mine

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
i agree with the above post ssh will dominate your battery well atleast mine
Can someone explain why SSH should be a big battery drain? Many people seem to say it, so there must be some foundation but this is baffling.

Surely the only drain it causes is the processor load? Run top? It'll hardly register. listening on a socket?

Having the phone 'on' with the lights on and doing lots of wifi WHILE you're doing SSH will use power, is this what you mean?

But having sshd running during normal use? I can't see that will make any difference anyone could measure.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
Im honestly not sure why it would drain the battery but i have noticed when i have it off my battery lasts a lot longer.. It doesn't make any sense at all because its not like its putting a huge load on the processor.. If anyone actually KNows why it does this please post

mikelarry

Oct 10, 2007
Im honestly not sure why it would drain the battery but i have noticed when i have it off my battery lasts a lot longer.. It doesn't make any sense at all because its not like its putting a huge load on the processor.. If anyone actually KNows why it does this please post
I don't know why SSH drains the battery but I do know that it does. I accidentally left it on before I went to bed and it drained 1/2 of my battery(happened twice).

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Can someone explain why SSH should be a big battery drain? Many people seem to say it, so there must be some foundation but this is baffling.

Surely the only drain it causes is the processor load? Run top? It'll hardly register. listening on a socket?

Having the phone 'on' with the lights on and doing lots of wifi WHILE you're doing SSH will use power, is this what you mean?

But having sshd running during normal use? I can't see that will make any difference anyone could measure.
My best guess is the reason is causes a battery drain is it listens on a port as a deamon which probably doesn't enable the network to go in to powersave as quickly as it normally would. Or maybe it can't put the network in low power mode because it detects something is waiting on it. That's the only thing I can figure.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
My best guess is the reason is causes a battery drain is it listens on a port as a deamon which probably doesn't enable the network to go in to powersave as quickly as it normally would. Or maybe it can't put the network in low power mode because it detects something is waiting on it. That's the only thing I can figure.
That makes sense - or it could be a mass blooper caused inadvertently in the porting somehow. I'm just giving a brand new phone a full charge and installing SSH. Can't beat a bit of experimentation.