Adobe developing Flash for the iPhone!

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
whoo hoooo! I am truly excited about this one. Gives me something to look forward too. Only problem is I'm gona need more summerboard pages.LOL

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Thanks for the link. Missed that somehow. I had read earlier on some website where Steve mentioned that the Flash would not be available for iPhone in the near future. I don't understand what to believe. Since the release of iPhone, rumors have been flying everywhere.

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
That's cool. Looks like it will be a third party app instead of something built in. Although, like full browsers it may just be a plug in to mobile safari, only if Apple allows it.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks. Good find.;)

Oh, btw, welcome to EIC!

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
This looks very promising, thanks for posting! Welcome to the site.

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
It was posted already, I posted it! :)

Adobe Bringing Flash to the iPhone

Tuesday March 18, 2008 11:39 PM EST; Category: iPhone
Written by Arnold Kim

Adobe made comments today that they will be delivering a Flash client for the iPhone. According to Adobe's Chief Executive Shantanu Narayen, Adobe has downloaded the iPhone SDK and is planning on building a Flash Player for the iPhone and distributing it via Apple's iTunes App store. "We believe Flash is synonymous with the Internet experience, and we are committed to bringing Flash to the iPhone," Narayen said. "We have evaluated (the software developer tools) and we think we can develop an iPhone Flash player ourselves."

The news comes a few weeks after Apple's Steve Jobs stated his reasons why Flash is not available for the iPhone. Jobs claimed that Flash Lite for mobile was not full featured enough, while the full version of Flash would not run well on the iPhone. Other reports have claimed the core issue preventing the release of Flash for iPhone is a licensing negotiation between Adobe and Apple over the iPhone's PDF renderer.

It's not clear how exactly Adobe would bring Flash to the iPhone, as there are several restrictions in the iPhone SDK that could prevent its release.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
What Narayen actually said was this (I listened to it):

"We're also committed to bringing the Flash experience to the iPhone, and we'll work with Apple. We've evaluated the SDK; we can now start to develop the Flash player ourselves. And we think it benefits our joint customers, so we want to work with Apple to bring that capability to the device."

So it sounds like Apple's cooperation is still desired.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
yes, it's a start, but color me skeptic until we have it in our hands/on our phones.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
ah crap! U beat me to the post! I was just about to put It up

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Was just about to post this.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
hmm my thoughts are: "I'll believe it when I see it" Too many back and forth rumors on Flash over the past few weeks so I'm not going to get too excited.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
hmm my thoughts are: "I'll believe it when I see it" Too many back and forth rumors on Flash over the past few weeks so I'm not going to get too excited.
The problem with Adobe developing a Flash player with the SDK is it won't be a Safari plugin. Which means how do you deliver the flash content to the program that adobe develops? They can make a stand alone player all they want but it's pretty much useless unless they get the blessing of the gods and Apple lets them make it as a plugin. So I was excited when I first saw the comments yesterday but afte reading the article I'm much less excited.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The problem with Adobe developing a Flash player with the SDK is it won't be a Safari plugin. Which means how do you deliver the flash content to the program that adobe develops? They can make a stand alone player all they want but it's pretty much useless unless they get the blessing of the gods and Apple lets them make it as a plugin. So I was excited when I first saw the comments yesterday but afte reading the article I'm much less excited.
I agree unless Steve-O gives his blessing this wont be of much benefit. Although a standalone player would be somewhat useful, without being integrated in Safari, it's not going to be as big a deal as we are hoping it will. Man it sure would be nice to stream XM radio on the iPhone. Yet another reason I don't wanna hold my breath. Flash would open up a lot of online streaming options, reducing somewhat iTunes revenues. If you ask me this is one of the biggest reasons, regardless of what Jobs says, that Flash isn't on the iPhone.

clark9825

Bronze
Feb 24, 2008
That's is going to suck if they don't allow it to be a plugin for Safari! :(