Adobe throws in the towel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Test-Pilot, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Test-Pilot

Test-Pilot Member
    Bronze

2. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Flash is going the way of the floppy drive and telephone modems. HTML5 is about to score a knock-out. The ref is getting ready to call this fight or start the 10-count.

3. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

Thank goodness and good riddance!

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Saw that earlier ! Thinking to myself "In your face" to all those Android users giving me the line " But you can't open flash.
    Last year I have not needed any "FlashBrowsers" at all for any site I tried to open!

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

With the large desktop client base and the release of 11 for ALL platforms last month, it'll easily be over 18 months before the global flash site count drops below 50% of todays numbers.

If you insist though I'm sure you can find a great time lapse app to record the flight of this hypothetical towel.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

6. Test-Pilot

Test-Pilot Member
    Bronze

Guess you missed the "mobile" part, huh?

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

priceless!

8. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Seeing as iOS people often quote that flash isn't designed for mobile I would have thought it clear, the mobile flash client we use on Android is a nice to have "choice" thing used most often when viewing a site in desktop agent mode.

Guess the details are more of a challenge for you to track.

9. Test-Pilot

Test-Pilot Member
    Bronze

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

iP5, I admire your tenacity. But a platform without mobile support is not a viable platform these days, no matter the installed desktop base. Why do you want Flash to linger if even Adobe doesn't?

11. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

When I no longer see the empty space on websites where Flash goes when I'm browsing on my iPhone, then I'll stop missing it.

12. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Fortunately I never started missing it.

13. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks and generally I care more about the accuracy of the analysis vs the actually content. If Flash was magically converted to HTML5 overnight, I'm ok with it.

Adobe just released their latest COMPLETE update a month ago. Stands to reason then that there's something strategic about this latest decision. Maybe the technology has finally matured. Maybe HTML5 has that critical mass. Maybe they're hoping to redirect revenue to their flash-to-HTML5 engine announced a couple months ago. Don't know but I assume it makes businesss sense to Adobe.

What I do know is that if anything, Android's rise into 40%-50%, the up coming quad core SOCs, up coming improvements in battery technology, the greying of smartphone/tablet/laptop should make a strong case for the continuance of Flash.

Here's a thought. Maybe in one years time Jelly Bean can run the desktop client natively. Maybe the closing of Adobe's mobile effort signals the end of needing to make a special effort for mobile altogether.

In any case, Flash isn't disappearing inside of a year.

14. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

When HTML5 is more widely used, you'll ask yourself why they even attempted Flash on mobile devices when HTML5 will be so seamless.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Really? Flash (aka plugins) was one of the 1st things that I, and plenty of other Android users, disabled as fast as we could navigate to the settings..

••Sent from my iPhone 4S••

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

This post belongs in the newly formed Android thread. :)

17. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

All Android people I've known over the years choose this.

uploadfromtaptalk1320878289981.png

On demand means if you never touch the green arrow then Flash isn't active.

uploadfromtaptalk1320878449017.png

I seriously doubt you've spent much if any time with Android with such an emotional stand. Disable, really now.

18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Hanaha.. Glad to know you are aware of my device use over the years.. LOL

And... I'm not as easy to goat into an argument or insult as you do to many other members here...

Have a nice day! LOL :)

19. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I'd like to say that I respect you for taking the higher ground but your LOLs come across as passive aggressive.

As for insults, I try to go by the rules of give as much as I get and avoid instigating insults. I may have forgotten these as things seem to have been turning a bit heated.

BTW, the term is "goad".

Here's a link on topic.
    http://www.itnews.com/browsers/39010/flash-player-demise-desktop-inevitable-years-away-say-analysts

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I don't think I've ever seen IP5 insult anyone, and quite frankly I don't think it's in his nature.