Ads in iCafe app

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I did a forum search and noticed a thread back in 2011 that the site would be ad free. I'm getting ads. Why are the ads not relevant? I see ads that are from flirting sites and dating. If I have to pay to remove the ads, I'm willing to do that. But I'd like to have an ad-free experience.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The website remains ad-free. In order to support the app, we have added ads. At this time, I have no plans to offer a paid version, but it's something I might consider.

The mobile website is great and will get even better in the coming weeks. It's a terrific alternative to the app.

As for the relevancy of ads, I have no control over what's shown.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Scared the bejesus out of my wife as i usually like to read the forum in bed before I go to sleep. Didn't realize there were video ads too, and my volume was all the way up. I'd gladly pay to get rid of the ads.

Last edited:

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Scared the bejesus out of my wife as i usually like to read the forum in bed before I go to sleep. Didn't realize the were video ads too, and my volume was all the way up. I'd gladly pay to get rid of the ads.
I've found that if you hit the home button to minimize the app, then call it back up, usually the video / ads will disappear.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The app is more convenient. Fast. Etc. :)
We've already gone over this several times. I don't think you are using the mobile template optimally if you are finding it to be slower. You can't swipe to go back to the new posts list on the app, which is how I prefer to navigate. Contrary to what some people think, you can go directly to the last post on the mobile site. You just tap the time next to the post. The app is what you're used to and that's fine, but it's far less convienent for me and I can't stand ads.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'll be experimenting with a new ad system today. If you're a member and see an ad while using the website, that's just me running tests. In other news, that means the new mobile template will also be in testing. Those familiar with the existing template should find much of what they like included in the new design. The framework I use also has some speed improvements, so those are baked in as well.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
New mobile site is live, but went back to the old way of implementing ads. That being said, we remain completely ad-free for members using the website. Even our guests have a relatively non-intrusive ad-experience when viewing the website. Compared to others, there is no comparison.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Since this has become the default thread for update information, there were some big, big changes this morning. The framework that I use to create the theme/design released a major update last night. Timing of course wasn't the best, since I had just spent a ton of time working on a new release here. For once, I didn't want to wait, so went for it this morning. There were a few hiccups, but we are on the new version. It's got over 100 changes baked in, some of which I haven't had time to explore. The biggest change, in my opinion, was optimizing the javascript. This should and has resulted in major speed gains. Our forum has always been fast, but there's always room for improvement and today brings some major improvements. Enjoy!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
FYI: One known issue is the extended footer appearing on all pages. I'll get this fixed, so it'll only appear on the homepage.

Anything else, please report it. (y)