Ads in iCafe app

Discussion in 'everythingiCafe App Support' started by silvermoon, Mar 28, 2015.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I did a forum search and noticed a thread back in 2011 that the site would be ad free. I'm getting ads. Why are the ads not relevant? I see ads that are from flirting sites and dating. If I have to pay to remove the ads, I'm willing to do that. But I'd like to have an ad-free experience.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The website remains ad-free. In order to support the app, we have added ads. At this time, I have no plans to offer a paid version, but it's something I might consider.

The mobile website is great and will get even better in the coming weeks. It's a terrific alternative to the app.

As for the relevancy of ads, I have no control over what's shown.

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Scared the bejesus out of my wife as i usually like to read the forum in bed before I go to sleep. Didn't realize there were video ads too, and my volume was all the way up. I'd gladly pay to get rid of the ads.

#3 Bennyboy, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I've found that if you hit the home button to minimize the app, then call it back up, usually the video / ads will disappear.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I hate those full page ads that count down and you have to wait to dismiss it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The lengths you go to to keep using this app despite the annoyances impresses me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

So I log into the mobile site, tap the menu icon on the top left and get an ad... image.jpg

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Working on this now. You should not see any ads when logged into the mobile site.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Ok, this should be fixed.

Let me know if you have issues staying logged into the site.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

And I posted this in the wrong place, since it wasn't app related. Oops

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's alright. I lump all of the discussions about ads together.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The app is more convenient. Fast. Etc. :)

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

For some, yes. I think people feel just as strongly about the mobile template -- which is also slated for an upgrade very soon.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We've already gone over this several times. I don't think you are using the mobile template optimally if you are finding it to be slower. You can't swipe to go back to the new posts list on the app, which is how I prefer to navigate. Contrary to what some people think, you can go directly to the last post on the mobile site. You just tap the time next to the post. The app is what you're used to and that's fine, but it's far less convienent for me and I can't stand ads.

16. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'll be experimenting with a new ad system today. If you're a member and see an ad while using the website, that's just me running tests. In other news, that means the new mobile template will also be in testing. Those familiar with the existing template should find much of what they like included in the new design. The framework I use also has some speed improvements, so those are baked in as well.

17. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

New mobile site is live, but went back to the old way of implementing ads. That being said, we remain completely ad-free for members using the website. Even our guests have a relatively non-intrusive ad-experience when viewing the website. Compared to others, there is no comparison.

18. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

For those of you who use the app, I've removed video ads.

19. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Since this has become the default thread for update information, there were some big, big changes this morning. The framework that I use to create the theme/design released a major update last night. Timing of course wasn't the best, since I had just spent a ton of time working on a new release here. For once, I didn't want to wait, so went for it this morning. There were a few hiccups, but we are on the new version. It's got over 100 changes baked in, some of which I haven't had time to explore. The biggest change, in my opinion, was optimizing the javascript. This should and has resulted in major speed gains. Our forum has always been fast, but there's always room for improvement and today brings some major improvements. Enjoy!

20. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

FYI: One known issue is the extended footer appearing on all pages. I'll get this fixed, so it'll only appear on the homepage.

Anything else, please report it. (y)