Ads Popping Out In The Main Screen

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I’m not here to cause any trouble Chris but I would just like to say that I’m not liking how the ads keeps popping out and taking over your main screen every time you open a thread or change to a different page. I don’t want to get banned for saying this it’s just an an opinion and an observation. That’s all.:laugh2:

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
You wont get banned for mentioning them. I complained the last time that they showed the HBC ads that kept taking over the forum. Very annoying.

I suspect that Chris has no control over which ads display and whatever ads Googleads pushes is which display on the site. I might be wrong though.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
You wont get banned for mentioning them. I complained the last time that they showed the HBC ads that kept taking over the forum. Very annoying.

I suspect that Chris has no control over which ads display and whatever ads Googleads pushes is which display on the site. I might be wrong though.
I would think that Chris would have more control of how ads appear. He may not have any say on what ads are popping up but I think he should be able to control how they're being displayed. I don't know either and you may also be right. I just hope that its something that can get corrected.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The ads don't explode all over my screen. Am I missing something here?

I would think that Chris would have more control of how ads appear. He may not have any say on what ads are popping up but I think he should be able to control how they're being displayed. I don't know either and you may also be right. I just hope that its something that can get corrected.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
for me, the ads are just at the top.

out of curiosity, can you take a screenshot of what you mean?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The ads up top come from a variety of sources. I have direct and indirect control over what appears (or I should say what doesn't appear). If there is a specific ad, please let me know and I'll see what I can do. I never did see the HSBC ad, but I was on vacation when it cropped up. I certainly do not want ads appearing that affect the usability of the site. BTW, screenshots are very helpful. Due to the way they are displayed, it's possible that I might not see an ad all day despite my high level of activity here.

You would never get banned for making a suggestion. Infraction maybe, but never a ban.:p

-Chris

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
These are the ads we are talking about, in fact while starting to type this another Trane ad popped open on my screen and I had to close it to continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks. This helps a lot. I've asked them to pull those ads. Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Chris

Last edited:

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Remember, nothing stops a Trane!

These are the ads we are talking about, in fact while starting to type this another Trane ad popped open on my screen and I had to close it to continue (see bottom image).

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
These are the ads we are talking about, in fact while starting to type this another Trane ad popped open on my screen and I had to close it to continue (see bottom image).

Yup. These are the same ads that I keep popping out of my screen.

H

Hayesimus

Remember, nothing stops a Trane!
Except maybe us winebags at the EIC :p I started a thread last week about one of these, but it vanished right after that so it was a kind of pointless thread. Very out of the ordinary for me... :D

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I've had this problem on www.onemanga.com.
It's something new that advertisers are trying to sneak in. Absolutely irritating as hell when it covers part of the page you are trying to read. OneManga stated that none of their ads were supposed to have any type of "pop-up". Once all the ones were reported, they were removed. It's generally the fault of the people selling the banners, and not the company that distributes them or has them on their site, because it technically is not classified as a pop-up in the traditional sense and that, I believe, is how they are sold.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
one suggestion for all you guys...

give Firefox a shot, and install an add-on called AdBlock Plus.

my EIC homescreen looks like this ALL THE TIME because of it. It works just as well on a Mac or PC.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
one suggestion for all you guys...

give Firefox a shot, and install an add-on called AdBlock Plus.

my EIC homescreen looks like this ALL THE TIME because of it. It works just as well on a Mac or PC.

Let's not get crazy now. ;) You'd miss out on all those cool new EIC™ ads that I've been ramping up.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
what can i say? i am one wild and crazy guy.

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
Except maybe us winebags at the EIC :p I started a thread last week about one of these, but it vanished right after that so it was a kind of pointless thread. Very out of the ordinary for me... :D

yes, I remember.....I posted on that thread about the HSBC ad, then I got an Econ 101 lesson from someone on how I wasn't being supportive of Chris' right to make money on the site.

The guy did apologize later to me though. :laugh2:

H

Hayesimus

haha. sometimes we quarrel but we always make up on the EIC. :p

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't have AdBlock on my PC but I still manage to see no ads and I do have AdBlock on the Air and see no ads. Guess I'm just getting lucky on the PC.