Advertisements on Everything sites

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
All good things come to an end at some point. Starting today, you'll notice the Everything sites are no longer "ad-free". In case you haven't noticed, this site never accepted external advertising such as Google ads, etc.

After much thought and deliberation, I've decided to accept advertising on the site. I've done my best to incorporate the ads into the look and design of the site. Additionally, this site will not be inundated with ads. There are only a few spots available to potential advertisers. I certainly do not want to affect the usability of the site. With any new venture, there will be some bumps along the way and I'll do what I can to smooth these over.

For those browsing the site with your iPhone or iPod Touch, the forums will automatically display the iPhone friendly, ad-free version.

Thanks for your understanding and hopefully this won't affect your experience here at EIC.

-Chris

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Chris, you can do all you want, nothing bothers me.:laugh2:

All good things come to an end at some point. Starting today, you'll notice the Everything sites are no longer "ad-free". In case you haven't noticed, this site never accepted external advertising such as Google ads, etc.

After much thought and deliberation, I've decided to accept advertising on the site. I've done my best to incorporate the ads into the look and design of the site. Additionally, this site will not be inundated with ads. There are only a few spots available to potential advertisers. I certainly do not want to affect the usability of the site. With any new venture, there will be some bumps along the way and I'll do what I can to smooth these over.

For those browsing the site with your iPhone or iPod Touch, the forums will automatically display the iPhone friendly, ad-free version.

Thanks for your understanding and hopefully this won't affect your experience here at EIC.

-Chris

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
Hey Chris do what you have to do, this is and will always be the BEST iPhone site! Keep up the great work...all of you! And thanks!:)

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Hey Chris do what you have to do, this is and will always be the BEST iPhone site! Keep up the great work...all of you! And thanks!:)
/agreed

advertising is everywhereBUY COCA COLA so i'm used to it

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
No prob Chris. Nothing is free. Bandwidth certainly is not free.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Doesn't bother me one bit!

As long as you don't do those ads that highlight words in people's posts and popup little windows all over the place ;)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Still looks and works like the iCafe of yesterday. As long as a site isn't 90% ads, I have no problem with a few ads here and there.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Chris, I have noticed something odd. Every now and then, the iCafe Store ads, which have been here for awhile, show up in the middle of two posts, like this:

Could this have to do with the new ads?

- John

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I've testing this over at EverythingBerry. I'm adding a banner ad at the top, but need to find a slot for the internal store ads. Rather than having "stacked" ads at the top, which looked pretty horrific, so I've opted for the inline ads. Took a look at a few popular forums (MacRumors being one) and they've got the same thing -- albeit with text ads.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I still have the stacked version over at EQ and you'll see what I mean.:sick:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Ah, I definitely think the inline ads look more aesthetically pleasing.
You mean not stacked banners at top, but one banner top, one in between posts I think? If so, I agree. If you mean inline like someone above mentioned with the double-underline of words in posts and popup windows, I find those annoying ...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You mean not stacked banners at top, but one banner top, one in between posts I think? If so, I agree. If you mean inline like someone above mentioned with the double-underline of words in posts and popup windows, I find those annoying ...
Oh no no, I mean the ones that are in between the posts. The ones with the double underline annoy me to no end because I usually click on them thinking they're something else.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Oh no no, I mean the ones that are in between the posts. The ones with the double underline annoy me to no end because I usually click on them thinking they're something else.
That's what I thought - just thought I'd ask because lots of people refer to them as 'inline' I think. And yeah they are extremely irritating ...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Based upon some "less than favorable" feedback on EverythingQ, I've made a few changes. For now, I've removed the ads that appear within the threads (after the first post). Registered users will still see the ads, but they will appear up top (as they have in the past). The only difference will be the addition of the 728x90 ad that appears below the main navigation.

-Chris

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
the ads don't bother me most sites have them but I'm mostly on the forum with my iPhone so I'm good.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wow, you got quite a bit of input over at Everything Q.

- John
Yeah, I was surprised at the level of discontent. I've taken the constructive criticism and made a few changes. The site(s) have seen different levels of ads over the past day or so, but I think I've found a happy medium. We'll see...I certainly hope so.

BTW, I've also done a few things to amp up registration here at EIC. A few more improvements on the way.

-Chris