Advice-Help-Pretty Please )-:

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smudgeyjoe, Nov 5, 2012.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

I really need some wisdom and advice. I am a 65 Year Old Retired Teacher with some debts not balanced by income from my pension. I am an Apple nut and have discovered that because of my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro, I seldom use my 27" iMac, late 2009. Last summer, I doubled the RAM. I decided to sell it, buy a much less expensive HD TV to use as a display for my MacBook, and use the the balance to pay some bills. It has been working fine, though at times, when I turn it off, it sometimes doesn't shut down and I have to use the power button on the back to turn it off. It works fine otherwise. I took it to the Apple Store. They ran it through it's paces and couldn't find anything wrong. I advertised on Craig's List for a price of 800$ but dropped it to 600$ for a young family trying to get a desktop computer for their first grader. I added a Mountain Lion upgrade, iWorks, and a childrens' typing software. I received the 600$ and gave them the computer yesterday. Today, I got an e-mail saying they were concerned about the hard drive, that it was noisy and they were worried about crashing. They were going to take it to Apple and have them look it over,and to see if there is a problem, whether it was the hard drive or the mother board. If it is the the hard drive, he said he might dicker with me and have me give him some of the 600$ back in order to replace the hard drive. I won't dispute the possibility of a problem, but I am the only user since day one, and it has been seldom used. I purchased it in the summer of 2010. While there is always the problem of someone trying to take advantage of an old guy, I think this is actually a young family with a precocious first grader with not much money. I would appreciate your thoughts about how you would respond if you were in my place.

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Did you sell it 'as is'? Or imply any type of guarantee?
    If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it honestly.

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Depends in what state and or country but a detailed bill of sale or even lack there of sets terms for sale. No bill of sale typically indicated an as is sale. It is the responsibility of the buyer to do due diligence in making purchases. Unless you claimed it was new you should be fine.

This is where Ginny comes in and smacks me down.

Then I make a comment about her ring Canadian and being paid for her legal services with a calf and big jar of mayonnaise.

I'm kidding of course. I love my neighbors to the north.

4. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

The original sale price was nice for them given all that was included. Depending on the diagonisis I may or may not be agreeable to refunding them any money. I would ask to have the estimate from the Apple store emailed to you directly from the store. If they will not do that then IMO no money back. I am a 67 yr old geezer.

5. Graley

Graley New Member

I am a bit late as a 71 year old senior citizen, and maybe cynical. But there are people who try to renegotiate the contract by claiming defects after sale. By cautious before you pay anything back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I agree 100%

Some people do this sort of thing all the time. They will claim there was something wrong with the device and ask for a portion of the $$ back..

If it were me, and I knew there was nothing wrong with it at the time of sale, I would not give them any money back.. Even moreso since you had Apple check it out before selling and Apple told you it was fine..

It's a scam that people run so be cautious..

7. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Last time I had an issue with a device (other than iPhone) that I brought in for diagnostics, I received a detailed report. If you had this, then it would strengthen your case. Bought as-is has no guarantees past sale.