Advice needed for waterpark trip

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by jmp316, Jun 28, 2013.

1. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Hey everyone!

My family just booked a summer trip to Wisconsin Dells. Needless to say, we will be doing a lot of water activities during the week. I have an iPhone 5 and want to use it to capture pictures of the family in the water. I don't have a Lifeproof case, nor do I want to spend that much money for a case I'll only use for 5 days. Any one have any advice for a cheap, temporary solution? I've seen some cheaper cases on eBay and Amazon, but don't think I can trust them. Thanks in advance!

2. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Sorry, should be "waterpark" trip. Damn autocorrect!

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I fixed it for ya.

4. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Gracias. :)

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I know this isn't what you asked, but I'll throw it out there: have you considered just getting a cheap water-resistant camera? they can be had for $80-$100 new, even less if you get a used one on ebay. Then you're not risking a $600+ iPhone at a water park with a cheap "waterproof" case...

7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

You might* consider something like this:

51yDDTz5vnL._SY300_.jpg

Technical Details

• IPX8 Certified to 100 feet (30 meters) - 1 Year Product Warranty
    • Crystal Clear Window on both sides, perfect for taking pictures or videos
    • Universal size fits any cell phones, digital cameras or mp3 players
    • This case provides waterproof protection for your smartphone while maintaining full touch screen functionality.
    • With a simple snap and lock access, this easy to use product provides all the protection you will need

http://www.amazon.com/DandyCase-White-Waterproof-apple-iphone/dp/B0058NXWPY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372511970&sr=8-4&keywords=clear waterproof iPhone bag

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I haven't been to a waterpark in years, but I'm pretty sure they don't let you take phones and cameras down the slides. If I was going, I'd leave my phone at the hotel and just enjoy the park with my family for a few hours. I wouldn't want to worry about finding (and inconveniencing) someone to hold it every time I wanted to stand in line for a slide. Some of those lines are long. If anything, I'd do what accosmichipo suggested and get a cheap water-proof/water-resistant camera.

9. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into those pouch cases that Europa posted. I'm not sure I'll have the phone on me the entire time and on every ride, but it would be nice to get a few pictures of the family now and then. I'll look into a waterproof camera as well...

You guys rock, thanks for all the replies

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think I posted any pouches/cases. I was the one who suggested not taking an iPhone to a waterpark. ;)

I noticed you said you don't think you'll take it on every ride.I don't think they allow phones on any rides/slides at waterparks. It's a safety hazard.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Don't waste money! A simple ziplock bag will do the trick!

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

until it gets punctured.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Easy, just double bag :D you can by a box of 1000 for the price of one case lol

14. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Really?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRbFnYhIvocYfhSueWMZe5b5-3IxNQhXHNgSl32lLo3b08HR4CPQ

:D

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have any of you guys who are suggesting waterproof containers, cases and baggies ever taken an iPhone down a waterpark slide? I haven't been to one since before I had a cell phone, but they had a strict policy of no personal belongings, including cameras, allowed down the slides every time I went in the '90s. I do remember wearing a watch to one in the '80s and somehow the band broke when I was going down a slide and the watch was gone for good even though I notified the lost and found department. They didn't even allow loose-fitting t-shirts, IIRC. It was swim attire only.

I'm attached to my iPhone, but I could enjoy a day a waterpark slide with my family without it.

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I haven't been since well before I owned a cell phone either. That's why I put an asterisk when suggesting he might* try my suggestion. It didn't occur to me that the park wouldn't allow them on the slides themselves. One might* be able to wait in the pool at the bottom to take pics/video though.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But like I said earlier, then you have to inconvenience someone to phone-watch while you're gone for an hour. The lines are pretty long in July, in my experience.

18. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Oh yeah, what was I thinking? :confused:

19. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

That was not the question he asked though...just saying....:D

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Heh. Reminds me of the thread where someone asked if Apple does computer trade-ins and you suggested eBay/Craigslist even though it wasn't the question they asked. ;)