Advice needed on best way to get v2 and sell v1

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Hey EIC-

I'm hearing conflicting reports about the best way to go about selling my v1 and getting the v2. I first heard definitely remove the sim card from my v1 and insert into my v2 before I sell it and then heard others say I need to sell my v1 with a sim card in it, which doesn't sound quite right. I also heard I need to "physically" have the v1 with me at the store in order to get the v2 at the $299 price(16GB), don't know if that's right either...My plan is, lemme know your thoughts and recommendations:

Getting the v2 mid to late July after all the hoopla has calmed a bit and I hear some reviews...I believe I take my sim card from the v1 and put it into the v2, I'm sure the people at the store can assist me with this part. Now I'm planning on selling the v1..this is where I am confused. I plan on unlocking it to get a little more money so I believe I should NOT update the phone when the update comes out "early July", is that right? I think I need to restore the phone to the original settings FIRST and then unlock it..is it okay to sell it without a sim card?
does any of this sound correct? If I'm missing something or have something out of order please let me know...thanks you guys for your help!

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Hey EIC-

I'm hearing conflicting reports about the best way to go about selling my v1 and getting the v2. I first heard definitely remove the sim card from my v1 and insert into my v2 before I sell it and then heard others say I need to sell my v1 with a sim card in it, which doesn't sound quite right. I also heard I need to "physically" have the v1 with me at the store in order to get the v2 at the $299 price(16GB), don't know if that's right either...My plan is, lemme know your thoughts and recommendations:

Getting the v2 mid to late July after all the hoopla has calmed a bit and I hear some reviews...I believe I take my sim card from the v1 and put it into the v2, I'm sure the people at the store can assist me with this part. Now I'm planning on selling the v1..this is where I am confused. I plan on unlocking it to get a little more money so I believe I should NOT update the phone when the update comes out "early July", is that right? I think I need to restore the phone to the original settings FIRST and then unlock it..is it okay to sell it without a sim card?
does any of this sound correct? If I'm missing something or have something out of order please let me know...thanks you guys for your help!
I think if you have an extra AT&T or any unlocked cell phone lying around, just sell your v1 iPhone now because once the 3G iPhone can be bought after 7/11 - I am certain the prices for the v1 will drop significantly.

And you do take your sim card out of the v1 when you sell it but I believe the new 3G iPhone will come with a sim card once you buy and activate it so you cannot put your v1 sim card into the 3G iPhone.

As for unlocking, just reset everything on the phone via iTunes and then unlock with a clean phone with your sim card. After it's unlocked, just take your sim card out and sell it.

Also, you DO NOT have to bring your v1 iPhone in when you get the new one because AT&T will already know if you had the iPhone data plan at the store when you are activating the 3G iPhone.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The iPhone 3G will come with a new sim card inserted already. The sales rep at AT&T or Apple will then activate the new sim card within the new iPhone 3G. There's really no need to remove your old sim card from your first gen iPhone.

Sandman

Oct 8, 2007
I plan on doing the same. Anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase a cheap/throwaway phone that can be used between phones?

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks you guys---good to know I don't need my old sim card for the v2, guess that makes sense.

I think I have decided not to sell until after I get the v2..

Something is telling me to hold on to it until the 3g is released...just in case I go to buy it and me and the v2 don't click. (yes, my phone and I must click to have a relationship:))

I remember when I layed eyes on my v1..I thought we'd be together forever..but alas a younger version has come into the picture...

considering that a lot of areas still don't have 3G, some people still need to use edge and in some cases until the v2 is unlockable, im guessing I can still get a pretty good amount for my unlcoked v1 after July 11..what do you guys think?

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
ACTUALLY-

let me ask anyone who may know this as well..

After I set up my v2 with my iTunes, can I then restore my v1 to the original settings and do the unlocking to sell it and all that jazz?

Or does that need to be done before I use the v2 with iTunes..?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Thanks you guys---good to know I don't need my old sim card for the v2, guess that makes sense.

I think I have decided not to sell until after I get the v2..

Something is telling me to hold on to it until the 3g is released...just in case I go to buy it and me and the v2 don't click. (yes, my phone and I must click to have a relationship:))

I remember when I layed eyes on my v1..I thought we'd be together forever..but alas a younger version has come into the picture...

considering that a lot of areas still don't have 3G, some people still need to use edge and in some cases until the v2 is unlockable, im guessing I can still get a pretty good amount for my unlcoked v1 after July 11..what do you guys think?
How mang gigs is it? If its a 16GB I'll buy it from ya, that is if its still in newish mint condition:laugh2:

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Is no one concerned with people recovering data from your old iPhone? Those articles were enough for me to think twice about selling my iPhone to someone I don't know.

topspin

Oct 12, 2007
I sold my refurbished 4G on ebay for $300 a couple days ago. The ATT gus told me to take the sim card out as it won't work for the next guy anyway unless you are selling him your contract.
I have the no contract pay in advanced $50mo plan and they are holding my balance for the 3G. Pretty sweet.
Now if I could get the sim to work in my old verizon (they said it wouldn't)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I sold my refurbished 4G on ebay for $300 a couple days ago. The ATT gus told me to take the sim card out as it won't work for the next guy anyway unless you are selling him your contract.
I have the no contract pay in advanced $50mo plan and they are holding my balance for the 3G. Pretty sweet.
Now if I could get the sim to work in my old verizon (they said it wouldn't)
Verizon phones don't even have sim cards. At&t is not releasing iPhone 3G for the pre-paid plans. I'm afraid you misunderstood someone.