advice needed

Feb 24, 2008
HI ! i live in india,i got iPhone 3gs from my friend in america with AT&T card.i have by mistake upgraded by brand new iPhone 3gs to 3.1 Obviously,I don't have those files for saurik method as well.

should i wait for devteam unlock,would i be able to use it ?

or

should i sell this phone in the market with whatever money i can get in India

What should i do ? your siggestions would be highly appreciated as i am very confused & tensed

Thanks in advance for your co-operation

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
In my opinion you should sell it as you may never be able to unlock it now you have updated.

From the dev-team blog

Having said all that, we realize that some of you updated your 3GS to 3.1 anyway. If you want to come back to the world of the jailbreak (but NOT the sim unlock, sorry!) then saurik’s new “on file” server may be able to help. He’s got all the details in a new article so do check it out.
Also

NOTE #1: the carrier sim unlock is a different story. Jailbreaking and unlocking have two different security mechanisms, and if you update your 3GS (or 3G) to 3.1, you will lose your carrier unlock, possibly forever. Even if you downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0, you will have lost your carrier unlock. So if you think you’ll ever want to carrier unlock your 3G or 3GS (or maybe give it away or resell it later as an unlockable iPhone), then please stay clear of all official Apple IPSWs. You’ll soon be able to create custom 3.1 IPSWs using PwnageTool that let you pre-hack your 3.1 update in a way that preserves the carrier unlock.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Technically you could still use a turbo sim to allow sim-unlock, right?

Regardless, you could sell it in the US for $600+.

Aug 22, 2009
Similar problem

Hi,

I have bought an iPhone 3gs 3.0.1 from the US to india and. I had jailbroken the device with redsnOw.

Subsequently i also completed the unlock with ultrasn0w as per the various tuturials and the videos available on youtube.

However after completing the same the phone is stuck on the Apple logo on reboot and then it switches off.

Is there any way where i can use the on file method as mentioned?

Is there any way in which i can take the backup of the ECID, IBEC and IBSS filles from the phone in the present condition?

Is there any way in which i can make the phone working again with 3.0.1?

Or should i go ahead and accept the fact that it will not work and sell it off for whatever price available?

Guys pls help!

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I read somewhere that if you live in California they have to unlock your phone if you are done with the 2 year contract and don't owe AT&T any money. Someone took them to Court and won.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I read somewhere that if you live in California they have to unlock your phone if you are done with the 2 year contract and don't owe AT&T any money. Someone took them to Court and won.
I haven't heard anything about that, but if it is true, they probably just changed the terms of service afterwards, so no further lawsuits could be filed.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
It was a Class Action lawsuit so it applies to everyone living there. Let me see if I can find it when I get a chance after work.

Feb 24, 2008
ok guyz,i followed your advice & sold the my locked 3gs for 500 $ in indian market.I am relieved specially after the latest update from devteam.

But,i desperately need iPhone 3gs.My friend is coming soon from Atlanta back to India.Is there any use to buy directly from Apple as they might sell it after updating it or Can i buy iPhone 3gs unlocked from market there ?

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
If you are talking about the US they don't sell unlocked iPhones and you have to sign up for a contract with AT&T before you leave the Apple store with it and you also have to do the same thing when ordering it from Apple online.

Also if you buy one now from Apple online it will most likley come with 3.1 OS on it the iPhones in the Apple store may have 3.0 or 3.0.1 on them if they are old stock.

Aug 22, 2009
@champ vishal

Hi Vishal,,

I am facing the same problem. Can u pls tell me where did u sell it off in mumbai...itll b of great help

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
HI ! i live in india,i got iPhone 3gs from my friend in america with AT&T card.i have by mistake upgraded by brand new iPhone 3gs to 3.1 Obviously,I don't have those files for saurik method as well.

should i wait for devteam unlock,would i be able to use it ?

or

should i sell this phone in the market with whatever money i can get in India

What should i do ? your siggestions would be highly appreciated as i am very confused & tensed

Thanks in advance for your co-operation

dev team suggested its impossible to unclock with the new baseband ... sell it i say. you may have to wait a month or two anyway if it is possible to unlock it.

Feb 24, 2008
@ jigar shah

i sold it in Delhi in the grey market ...send the phone to your any relative in delhi & tell them to sell it in Gaffar market,karol bagh

and,you have to hurry up and sell the phone before the news spreads out that it is not possible to unlock them !