Advice on iPhone goal.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Hey guys.

First off, I have looked at this site just about every day. Even though I haven't posted here, this has been a great source of info.

So, my goal is to get an iPhone. I am a die hard Apple fan! I own a MacBook and a 30gb iPod with video. Yet, I do not have the luck that some have to be able to get an iPhone as soon as they come out.

When Steve first announced the iPhone, I was all really hyped up but there are a few things in my way:

1. I am on Verizon
2. I am a 15 year old short on money at the moment

So I mainly need advice on what I should do. Break the Verizon contract? (I just over a year into my 2 year contract) Or wait for better iPhones next year. Just mainly, what should I do?

Thanks

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Hah

Sure I have. Hold on, I have thought about getting a constant job but currently I referee soccer for $15 each wreck game and I do yard work for $10/hr.

I have looked into getting jobs at like Staples when I turn 16 but most places have gone to 18!

I have also thought about bugging an Apple store manager to letting me on the team when I am 16 also. :)

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
First off, no one knows if there will be a better iPhone next year.

A 4GB iPhone and breaking your Verizon contract is going to run you about $725 or so after taxes. An 8GB will run you about $825.

Sell some stuff...like your iPod? Get some paid work around the house? Get a part time job? Beg on the streets?

Not really sure what your question is. If you can't afford it now, you'll have to wait.

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I guess the main thing I am getting at is should I break the contract, get money and buy one now or wait?

Apple is famous for coming out with something that is better really fast. I bought my MacBook and in like 2 days they updated the whole line to faster speeds and such. I expect another iPhone next year.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I guess the main thing I am getting at is should I break the contract, get money and buy one now or wait?

Apple is famous for coming out with something that is better really fast. I bought my MacBook and in like 2 days they updated the whole line to faster speeds and such. I expect another iPhone next year.
you could wait for ever...

The 'next version' will always be over the horizon, will always be better, and will always be followed by a next version....

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Save that $800... you'll need it when you turn 18 and your parents put you out. ;)
You sound like you speak from experience. :)

Unfortunately I am not smart enough to save money when it comes to getting the next Apple thing. It isn't my fault they came out with something this revolutionary already.

Just kidding...

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Is breaking your Verizon contract *really* an option? I'm guessing, at 15, that your parents are paying that bill and doubt they'd support that decision even if you came up with the money. I wouldn't let my kids do it.

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
They are not fond of it but...

Does the early termination fee drop as time passes? Say like I break my contract 6 months early instead of a year isn't it less?

If that were the case then there wouldn't be that much of a problem.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California

Does the early termination fee drop as time passes? Say like I break my contract 6 months early instead of a year isn't it less?

I have no idea whether the fee is reduced as the time remaining on the contract decreases. I'd never spend my hard-earned money to buy myself out of a contract; that's just me.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007

Your still going to have to pay for early termination fees, or you could pull a poor mans method and just stop paying the bill alltogether but that will kill your parents credit.

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Your still going to have to pay for early termination fees, or you could pull a poor mans method and just stop paying the bill alltogether but that will kill your parents credit.
No no no no. I would never do that.

Maybe I should just wait and hope that other wireless companies follow in Virgin Mobile's footsteps pulling out the whole contract thing.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco

Yes, Verizon has a prorated ETF which, I believe, began if you signed after March of 2006. Call and ask them to confirm though.

WolfmanXII

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
California
i say wait til the verizon contract is up. stupid to pay 600 dollars and a termination fee when u are short on cash. the monthly charge, case, etc. will only cost u more. its only one year :)

Zman-iPhone

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
im 15 as well dude. i have a job, do you?
thats all you need, then the paycheck at the end is bliss, although, most of you already know of this feeling.