Advice on jailbreaking, unlocking iPhone 4 please

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by NHL Fever, Jan 22, 2013.

1. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

Could somebody point me in the right direction on how to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone 4? Specifically, how do I figure out which ios version can be jailbroken, and which can be unlocked? I have hunted around online, and I can't seem to find a definitive guide for it.

I appreciate that this has probably been asked in various forms many times and answered. Hopefully many of your will appreciate that unless you start out already with an understanding of much of the terminology and and mechanisms, reading various threads is not always as helpful for noobs. Thanks in advance.

2. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you know what carrier it's locked to, you can buy a permanent unlock for it on eBay for a few dollars. It's far superior to a software unlock and it doesn't require jailbreaking.

4. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

I didn't know that. I requested and got an unlock from ATT on my old phone, but haven't tried doing so for my old VZ one yet. Buying an unlock via eBay? Interesting.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep. It's faster and easier than going through AT&T even if you are eligible for unlocking. This method became available around August 2012. AT&T gave me the runaround so I bought one from unlock_fusion and it was unlocked and running on T-Mobile five hours later.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Unlock-Code-Service-for-AT-T-USA-apple-iphone-3-3G-3GS-4-4S-5-Permanent-/190778292888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6before5ba98

6. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

Very nice. Thanks.

7. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

Wow I didn't know that. My understanding was that only the carrier can perform a factory unlock.

Now that you mention permanent non-carrier unlocks are available, I wonder if I could unlock my current 4S (locked to Telus, 5.1.1, 2.0.12) instead of hunting for a 4? Is this a possibility?

Edit: Out of curiosity I called my carrier to ask if it could be unlocked. They said it will be $35. The phone is still on contract. Has something changed in the last few years where carriers are now unlocking phones still on contract?

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Yes, but it costs $48. It's only $4 for an AT&T phone. So your better off going through Telus than eBay if they'll do it for you, unless they won't do it while it's still under contract. Here's a link if you go through eBay. Better this than downgrading hardware, IMO: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=320944441999

2. Yes, AT&T has only been unlocking them for about a year, and they have to be out of contract. Some of the other carriers in the UK, Canada, etc. have been unlocking them for years and they don't all have that requirement.

9. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

Thanks for that info!

Any idea why Telus is so much more expensive than AT&T?

Also I'm very curious, how do third party unlockers get the codes they need?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

11. NHL Fever

NHL Fever Member
    Bronze

I did send them an email, but ya I their ad says $48. I guess going through Telus itself is the better deal, probably more reliable and safe as well. I did ask a random Indian Telus unlocker on ebay why it was more expensive, and his answer was

"S AT&T have lots of source but telus having only one source all over the world tats y"

Still makes one wonder who or what these 'sources' are. Do you think it's leaked codes from Apple?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, they don't come from Apple. They are generated by the carriers. I'm not certain, but I think they probably pay staff that work at the various carriers to submit the unlocks on the side.