Advice on Upgrading to iPhone 2

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I just got my iPhone a few months ago. It is the 8GB version. It is still in very good condition as it has been in a case w/ a screen protector since day one. It is NOT unlocked or jailbroken.

I have a feeling that I am really going to want this new 3G iPhone.

Basically, I am asking everyone for their advice...what should I do?! What is the best mode of action?

Do I sell this phone on eBay and use the money to buy the new one? If so, should I unlock it? Do I have to jailbreak it too?

Or should I just buy the $69 extended warranty and keep the phone for two full years?

Basically I care about the 3G speed, ability to picture text message and GPS. The rest doesn't really concern me.

Just looking for some thoughts and advice. Thanks everyone!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, we can all assume that the new iPhone is going to have 3G but as far as GPS and MMS, those are still unclear as to whether the new iPhone will include them.

If you're planning on selling on eBay you will most likely want to unlock the iPhone (using ZiPhone is extremely simple) as you can probably get a bit more money for it and minimize your losses.

wendycharles

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
I read somewhere that the new iPhone will have gps and possibly video confernce.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Since we already have the software that will be used in the next gen iPhone we can predict pretty well what everything will have. We are CERTAIN it will have 3G and GPS. It will NOT have MMS...and to be honest I don't think it ever will.

If you can hold out without an iPhone for a little over a month then go ahead and fully unlock it and sell it on ebay. You should get a lot of money for it.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I dunno about just over a month. I think the new iPhone will be here a lot sooner than we think. The UK is all out and the US is following suit. They can't not be selling an iPhone for the next 4 weeks, just so they can wait for WWDC (or whatever Apple calls it) to announce the new iPhone.

What will the shareholders think? There will be looting on the streets of LA. Hang on, that happens everyday.

Since we already have the software that will be used in the next gen iPhone we can predict pretty well what everything will have. We are CERTAIN it will have 3G and GPS. It will NOT have MMS...and to be honest I don't think it ever will.

If you can hold out without an iPhone for a little over a month then go ahead and fully unlock it and sell it on ebay. You should get a lot of money for it.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
That is a good point. When is the right time to do it. I do have another AT&T phone that I can use in the meantime. Would really only like to be out of it for 2 weeks.

What is the GUESS that the new iPhones will go for? More?

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I dunno about just over a month. I think the new iPhone will be here a lot sooner than we think.
I agree, I'm just giving worst case scenario. i think it'll be June 9th or earlier...That's my best guess.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs

CERTAIN? IS your name Steve Jobs? Do you work at the executive levels of Apple? Since you don't, we're not sure of anything until it's released.

Joe

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I just got my iPhone a few months ago. It is the 8GB version. It is still in very good condition as it has been in a case w/ a screen protector since day one. It is NOT unlocked or jailbroken.

Basically, I am asking everyone for their advice...what should I do?! What is the best mode of action?

Do I sell this phone on eBay and use the money to buy the new one? If so, should I unlock it? Do I have to jailbreak it too?

Or should I just buy the $69 extended warranty and keep the phone for two full years?

Basically I care about the 3G speed, ability to picture text message and GPS. The rest doesn't really concern me.

Well, you're in the same situation as a lot of iPhone owners. Here's what I would do. Sell the iPhone on eBay now and put that money in the bank. Use and old phone or buy something cheap on eBay that you can live with for a few months. Then, when the next iPhone comes out, jump on it.

If you cannot live without your iPhone, then you're going to lose some money on the transition to the new one because as soon as the new one comes out all of the prices on eBay will drop. It's really up to you.

Joe

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
CERTAIN? IS your name Steve Jobs? Do you work at the executive levels of Apple? Since you don't, we're not sure of anything until it's released.

Joe
No....we're CERTAIN! The new iPhone software coming out in June has multiple (I found a few myself) references of 3G and GPS functions. Unless they are playing a trick on us wasting lots of time and money then we are CERTAIN these two functions will be in it. I'll bet you a new iPhone on it ;)

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
adseguy: I agree with you there. It would be stupid of Apple to release a new phone without 3G or GPS. It would be nuts!

If they did release an iPhone without those features, I would not buy it. It would be a waste of money!

No....we're CERTAIN! The new iPhone software coming out in June has multiple (I found a few myself) references of 3G and GPS functions. Unless they are playing a trick on us wasting lots of time and money then we are CERTAIN these two functions will be in it. I'll bet you a new iPhone on it ;)

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008

Well my plan is give old phone to the wifey and get the new beauty. Therefore, give old phone to wife, girlfriend or gay lover .... Then buy the new beauty.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
well, ive heard about the references to 3g in the software, but haven't heard anything about gps. and as far as im concerned, i don't really have a need for gps... i don't ever get lost... lol and if i did the fake gps they have is good enough for me......

but what does interest me is the 3g..... depending on what happens, i might eventually get the new one, but ill still hold on to the one i have for now in the meantime...

and if and when i do get the new one, ill keep the old one and jailbreak it or something