advice please

May 7, 2009
Hi, is there anyone who could advise me what to do, I have a iPhone 3g running 2.2.1 software on o2 here in the uk. I am shortly moving to Australia and not sure what to do, is it possible to unlock it and take it with me or do I get rid and buy new out there.
Thanks

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
you could always get a turbosim (i don't recommend them but its an option). if not i would sell it and buy one that is on 2.2 so you can unlock it.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ill give you £200 for it....im in Manchester?

May 7, 2009
you could always get a turbosim (i don't recommend them but its an option). if not i would sell it and buy one that is on 2.2 so you can unlock it.

Thanks for the reply, will go and google turbosim and have a look. Think it'll have to be sold and get new one out there, roughly how much do 16g iPhone's go for secondhand (mint condition)?

also is there no way to revert it back to 2.2 as I'm sure when I got it, I updated it to this 2.2.1.

May 7, 2009
I believe there is a way to downgrade the firmware...

EDIT...yep, here you are
http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/01/downgrade-firmware-221-to-22.html
Thanks MrEous, do you recommend that someone like me who does not have any knowledge in these kind of things have a go, is it simple, usually when I have a phone unlocked I take it to a little shop and they do it.
Also say I get it this far and I downgrade to 2.2, what then, can It be unlocked?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
you can downgrade the firmware but you cannot downgrade the baseband unless you bought your 3g on release day and you have bootloader 5.8. if you want to check this follow this link, but chances are you DO NOT have bootloader 5.8.

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/04/downgrade-iphone-baseband-from-023003-to-022800/

yellowsn0w, the unlocking program, only works on baseband 2.28. since you have updated to 2.2.1, it updates your baseband to 2.30.03. so simply downgrading to 2.2 will not allow you to unlock.

hope that clears things up.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Read this thread here before you attempt to downgrade.
Read what i posted on page 2 post #19 and so on

You will need to follow that, quickpwn dosent just downgrade your firmware so easily...nor does it create the custom firmware that updates but not update the baseband. (i wish people would stop posting that fkin link, since its wrong).

If you do not have bootloader 5.08 then you CANNOT unlock. Follow what i said in the link. Its time consuming, but a little time is better than buying another phone. Again... if i have to write out a complete guide i will granted enough people want me to.

Last edited by a moderator:

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i doubt enough people have bootloader 5.8 for you to have to write up a guide, but who knows...

May 7, 2009
Read this thread here before you attempt to downgrade.
Read what i posted on page 2 post #19 and so on

You will need to follow that, quickpwn dosent just downgrade your firmware so easily...nor does it create the custom firmware that updates but not update the baseband. (i wish people would stop posting that fkin link, since its wrong).

If you do not have bootloader 5.08 then you CANNOT unlock. Follow what i said in the link. Its time consuming, but a little time is better than buying another phone. Again... if i have to write out a complete guide i will granted enough people want me to.
Thanks for the reply, I have read through and really do not feel confident doing it. Is there not somewhere in the London region where I could take it to be done?

Last edited by a moderator:

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
send it to london or me, we'll do it for the right price :)

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Psh, speak for yourself. The only iPhone im responsible for is mine...and since i was patient and i waited every time a new firmware came out or a new jailbreak, im still 2.2 and unlocked w/o hassle.