Advice requested

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I have a Nexus 7 which I use regularly and like it. I also have an iPad "3" that I never use, even before getting the Nexus 7. Part of the reason I like the Nexus is the size. I'm ok with the OS but I live in an Apple ecosystem. I'm planning on getting the next gen mini, my question is, should I just get the current model instead of waiting?

Sent using iCafe app

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I have a Nexus 7 which I use regularly and like it. I also have an iPad "3" that I never use, even before getting the Nexus 7. Part of the reason I like the Nexus is the size. I'm ok with the OS but I live in an Apple ecosystem. I'm planning on getting the next gen mini, my question is, should I just get the current model instead of waiting?

Sent using iCafe app
Depends on whether or not you can live with a non-retina display (current model). I can't - not after having a retina iPhone and iPad 3.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can live without Retina no problem. People never complained about the screen on the iPhone 3GS, but then the iPhone 4 came out and suddenly they can't live without retina. You'd think using a non-retina device is like sleeping on dirt for some people. I care more about ease of use, weight and size. The mini isn't awkward to hold, use and type on so that's what I use. Honestly, I think retina is much more important on smaller devices (iPhones and iPods) since the screen size and text is smaller. It's just not huge deal to me on a screen that's nearly eight inches.

That being said, I'd like retina, but the lack of it is no where near being a deal-breaker for me. The screen still looks good.

If screen resolution is your number one priority, don't get it. If it isn't, get it.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I can live without Retina no problem. People never complained about the screen on the iPhone 3GS, but then the iPhone 4 came out and suddenly they can't live without retina. You'd think using a non-retina device is like sleeping on dirt for some people. I care more about ease of use, weight and size. The mini isn't awkward to hold, use and type on so that's what I use. Honestly, I think retina is much more important on smaller devices (iPhones and iPods) since the screen size and text is smaller. It's just not huge deal to me on a screen that's nearly eight inches.

That being said, I'd like retina, but the lack of it is no where near being a deal-breaker for me. The screen still looks good.

If screen resolution is your number one priority, don't get it. If it isn't, get it.
That's it. Meet me in the alley behind Chick-Fil-A. Bring a sock filled with poop. We'll settle it there..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Gawd...

If I find a Chick-Fil-A that's open, I'm going inside, dammit, so don't expect to find me in no back alley.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
mmmmmmmm chiken......arghhhh.......