Aereo will be a gamechanger

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by richardya, Feb 4, 2013.

1. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

For those living in NY and for those living in the following cities, I need to recommend Aereo. This is for people who do not get antenna reception and do not have cable. It is also for those thinking of ditching cable.

Boston, Miami, Austin, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Washington, DC, Baltimore, Detroit, Denver, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Cleveland, Kansas City, Raleigh-Durham (NC), Salt Lake City, Birmingham (AL), Providence (RI), and Madison (WI).

The service is great. You can watch local TV live on your Apple device and soon many more devices. The service is like $10 a month (I forgot) and you get dvr style recording and about 40 hours of cloud storage of the recordings. I rarely watch live. I just have it set to record Jimmy Kimmel, Charlie Rose, Arrow and Whitney etc This way I can always watch stuff I enjoy. (I had incredible antenna reception but this is so convenient) You also get the great service of being able to watch on the go, on your mobile devices or even in your office on your computer.

I just bought a Roku (gave m old one away) and it has a private channel that you can hook up with the Roku. It's very clunky but very cool.

I can not wait until this app one day comes to the Apple TV, I hate my Roku.

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I cut the cord a few years ago and am happy with the OTA channels I get. Add in a Roku and / or an Apple TV and all my needs are met.

I can purchase MLB TV and get all my Angels games as long as I use a VPN (stupid MLB blackout garbage)..

Personally I'd love to see some type of a la carte solution where I can purchase a monthly subscription to only the channels I want..

There are a few I'd pay a monthly service for like ESPN, AMC, Fox Sports West, and maybe a few others..

3. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

I think between these kinds of options and the stuff they are doing with game consoles that wont be far off. I haven't had a cable subscription in...at least 6 years now (Wow! lol) and I don't miss it at all. Combine things like Netflix or Hulu Plus with downloads of whatever content they aren't offering and you can watch only the content you actually care about at a fraction of the cost. A more customized TV experience is the future no questions.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Hopefully sooner than later..

All it's going to take is for one major player to offer a streaming subscription and the rest will follow..

5. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

It will be HBO. They see that Netflix has more subscribers than they do and most Netflix content is junk. Additionally, Netflix is getting $8 per sub and I doubt HBO gets that much from the Cable companies. They started to offer stand alone in the Scandenavian countries awhile back but I have no idea how that is going.

Neflix is starting to produce shows and if HBO doesn't move then someone else will take over their space of high quality content in the online arena. Soon, anyone who can produce content will have a platform online. There will be curators and content hosts making money. HBO has a valuable brand and they need to capitalize on it.

Look for some local sports teams to do it too. The team is their product and they have to share the money with cable companies. Maybe it will be cheaper to build a little app and keep all the dollas.

6. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

Meh, it's only for standard channels. I'll pass. But I'm hoping something better comes along soon, I hate my cable bill!