Afford iPhone on minimum wage?

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Well im 15, about to be junior in High School!
Bad thing is Ive wanted the iPhone since I knew about its existence, an even more when I got to see it on TV, and held it in my hands!

But thats just it im 15, all my other friends who some are junior already have an iPhone, and my other sophomore friends have to ofcourse work for it, or had it given to them.

Im gonna "try" to start working this summer, at maybe McD, or Subway, or somewhere along the lines of the typical teenage minimum wage job, and as the title implies "would I be able to afford the iPhone on minimum wage"- or what if my parents bought the iPhone itself, and I payed the bill?

Please Help!

You guys don't know how bad I really want an iPhone, I currently have a Cingular/At&t HTC 8125, and and Ive don't as much as I can to turn it "software wise" into an iPhone. It also being a smartphone, it has it own "slide to unlock screen", and the homescreen is modified to look like the home screen of the iPhone, it even takes pictures, contacts, phones like an iPhone and theirs more:eek:

BTW- Im going crazy over a phone thats not even that fun to have after having it for like a month?
-will the 3G iPhone probably have been released during the summer?

Last edited by a moderator:

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Some are sure the 3G phone will be released in the 2nd quarter, which means by June it will be out. Knowing Apple, it will probably be out later than we want.

But ya, start earning the money and you could probably get a cheap non-3G version when 3G comes out, because they will very rapidly drop in value. Seek out third party distributors, ebay, and other online shops to buy the newly outdated phone. Who cares if to don't have the new 3G phone, you should get a great price on the old ones because they'll become near obsolete, so to speak. The new ones will be overpriced, of course, in order for Apple to maximze their profits, because many will be willing to pay that premium to get the latest phone as soon as it comes out, like me.

H

Hayesimus

if you have determination, you can get whatever it is you desire. I was driving a newer sports car and living in my own house by the time ibturned 21. Of course I'm a workaholic. But if the iPhone is all you currently seek then it can be well within your grasp

chris5468

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Springfield,il
Bad thing is Ive wanted the iPhone since I knew about its existence, an even more when I got to see it on TV, and held it in my hands!

But thats just it im 15, all my other friends who some are junior already have an iPhone, and my other sophomore friends have to ofcourse work for it, or had it given to them.

Im gonna "try" to start working this summer, at maybe McD, or Subway, or somewhere along the lines of the typical teenage minimum wage job, and as the title implies "would I be able to afford the iPhone on minimum wage"- or what if my parents bought the iPhone itself, and I payed the bill?

Please Help!

You guys don't know how bad I really want an iPhone, I currently have a Cingular/At&t HTC 8125, and and Ive don't as much as I can to turn it "software wise" into an iPhone. It also being a smartphone, it has it own "slide to unlock screen", and the homescreen is modified to look like the home screen of the iPhone, it even takes pictures, contacts, phones like an iPhone and theirs more:eek:

BTW- Im going crazy over a phone thats not even that fun to have after having it for like a month?
Well buddy let me tell you I'm 14. My parents aren't rich at all and I knew that there wasn't anyway that they were going to buy me an iPhone. So I knew that I would need to buy one myself so I got a paper route! It pays about 250 a month so that's enough to pay for the bill too. So all my parents had to do was sign a contract and bam I had an iPhone! But I got it in January so if the 3g comes out I might feel a little upset so if I were you I would wait until June just in case so that you can brag to all your friends that your iPhone is faster than theirs. So my point is if you want something just go for it no matter what your problem is.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
At minimum wage it shouldn't take you but about three weeks to save up the $400 for a new iPhone. The $20/month for the iPhone data plan shouldn't be a problem either. The 8125 is a pretty neat phone, but it's not even close to the iPhone.

Work hard, save your money, and you'll have one before you know it.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
At minimum wage it shouldn't take you but about three weeks to save up the $400 for a new iPhone. The $20/month for the iPhone data plan shouldn't be a problem either. The 8125 is a pretty neat phone, but it's not even close to the iPhone.

Work hard, save your money, and you'll have one before you know it.
Hi PD. Here's wishing you the best in achieving your goal. Just know that the iPhone is going to cost more than $20 a month.

H

Hayesimus

well i think that he was referring to 20 dollars EXTRA a month. Because it sounds like he is already on a service plan. But yeah then again. How much is the iPhone data plan? I have 5 lines on my plan so i don't even know how much my package is by itself...

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
As long as you're willing to make sacrifices and use a little self control then you'll be fine. I still havn't got mine but just opened a envelope and started setting back cash that I know we can afford and I'm doing fine. You just have to set the money back and forget you even have it. I remember when I was 15 working at the movie theatre and I couldn't save a dime to save my life, I was having too much fun and wanting to always go out and hang with my friends and spend money, the problem was most of my friends families had plenty of money, mine didn't. So when my earnings were gone, that was pretty much it.

Simple as it sounds. If you want it bad enough, you will save your money and get it, simple as that! If you don't save your money and get it, then you obviously didn't want it THAT bad.

Good Luck!;)

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Hi PD. Here's wishing you the best in achieving your goal. Just know that the iPhone is going to cost more than $20 a month.
He's 15 20 bucks a month media package is only 200 text. He will need more than that im sure. But if your family has a family text plan all you have to pay is the 20 for internet

But id say yeah go for it get the iPhone you will love it. Start working now save your money maybe by the time you have enough the 3g will be out or will be some word on when

Either way you will love it

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
As long as you're willing to make sacrifices and use a little self control then you'll be fine. I still havn't got mine but just opened a envelope and started setting back cash that I know we can afford and I'm doing fine. You just have to set the money back and forget you even have it. I remember when I was 15 working at the movie theatre and I couldn't save a dime to save my life, I was having too much fun and wanting to always go out and hang with my friends and spend money, the problem was most of my friends families had plenty of money, mine didn't. So when my earnings were gone, that was pretty much it.

Simple as it sounds. If you want it bad enough, you will save your money and get it, simple as that! If you don't save your money and get it, then you obviously didn't want it THAT bad.

Good Luck!;)
An extremely sensible answer. I'm trying to do that for a dual-quad Mac Pro.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

Please Help!

I agree with all of the previous posters. You've done excellent work on your 8125. That tells me you've got the intelligence and patience to get what you want when you want it. Good luck and let us know when you get your iPhone!

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
save save save and when u have bout $700 get in a line a
mile long and be the first of your friends to have the newest iPhone. Make em jealous,
I say $700 because when it comes out and the app. Store is running throw down 50 on new apps then the other 50 on a case/ extras

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
save save save and when u have bout $700 get in a line a
mile long and be the first of your friends to have the newest iPhone. Make em jealous,
I say $700 because when it comes out and the app. Store is running throw down 50 on new apps then the other 50 on a case/ extras
That's exactly what i plan on doing, saving a couple hundred extra for other goodies. I plan on doing some extensive research in the month prior to my purchase for headphones (if I decide I want something different than the buds), cases, screen protectors and whatever else I may think I want. I plan on walkin' in like I own the damn place! "Gimmee one'a those and one'a these, uh....I probably don't' need one of them but gimmee one anyways" :p

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Oh and I agree, ^lovely additions to your 8125, a true iPhone clone if there ever was one, lol. :p

I tried to do some stuff with my sidekick but most themes look like crap..;)