Afraid to update my iPhone

moka987

Oct 24, 2007
I bought my iPhone the day it came out so i have the oldest firmware on there because i haven't updated it at all since then. I used jailbreak once or twice to put some ringtones on there to use and now im not sure if this falls into the category in which my iPhone becomes a brick if i try to update it. Any advice anyone can hook me up with?

kingofthechi

Bronze
Oct 15, 2007
if u are with AT&T then nothing will happen just restore the phone and then update it. But if it's unlocked it will brick and you'll need to use one of these methods to use it again

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Just make sure you do a restore to an older FW version before updating. Right click on restore and it should give you an option aon diff firmwares (unless you've updated iTunes to the newest version).

moka987

Oct 24, 2007
Ya im an ATT user. so i have to restore it using a older version of iTunes, and then update it?

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
Just make sure you do a restore to an older FW version before updating. Right click on restore and it should give you an option aon diff firmwares (unless you've updated iTunes to the newest version).

How can he update to an earlier firmware when he bought the phone on day one and has never updated his firmware?

papabro

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
MA
I bought my iPhone the day it came out so i have the oldest firmware on there because i haven't updated it at all since then. I used jailbreak once or twice to put some ringtones on there to use and now im not sure if this falls into the category in which my iPhone becomes a brick if i try to update it. Any advice anyone can hook me up with?
I would update your iTunes to the latest version and then update to 1.1.1 firmware on your phone. Because you have broken out of jail it is going to force you to restore. You may consider syncing if you have added contacts and such to your phone and they are not on your pc. You could also restore before updating your firmware as a separate task if you wanted to take baby steps. Once you are on 1.1.1 you can then jailbreak again by using the following instructions:
Go here for an even easier guide:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/guide-easy-jailbreak-1-1-1-without-restoring-to-1-0-2-windows.12715/#post123403

Last edited by a moderator:

moka987

Oct 24, 2007
true true, so can i even do anything?

moka987

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks a lot guys i got everything updated