After all the hype...

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
....im really not that impressed with the new iPhone. Seems to me Apple just rushed this phone out to try and stay on top of the competition and not lose any loyal customers to the pre. Ill definitely be upgrading to the new OS but not waiting in line another 10 1/2 hours. I really expected a lot more this time around but i guess i gotta wait another year or so. Dang Apple...i was really hoping for a front face camera and a non scratchable backing!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I agree with everything you say except one point. I will be really surprised if there are lines like there were for past phone releases.;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I agree with everything you say except one point. I will be really surprised if there are lines like there were for past phone releases.;)
They definetely won't be as long since you can preorder them online and have them delivered on iDay 3.0.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
They definetely won't be as long since you can preorder them online and have them delivered on iDay 3.0.
Which sounds like even Apple is treating this release as a run of the mill update as opposed to a major upgrade.

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
The biggest news was the $99 iPhone 3G. That is going to turn more heads I think than the 3GS announcement.

May 6, 2007
United States
Which sounds like even Apple is treating this release as a run of the mill update as opposed to a major upgrade.
Right, that's what's bound to happen eventually. Not every iPhone release can be a huge update, there just isn't enough change to make every time around. The first iPhone changed the way phones work, and the next few are going to make minor adjustments to make that a little bit better each time.

The fact that they are allowing preorders is just showing that they're improving the release day process. Instead of having people wait around, they'd rather streamline the process and make it easier for everyone. A good thing.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Or they just want to sell more of them by making the process much easier!

10 minutes to order the 3G S today or wait in line at Apple store for hours on end with no guarantee that they won't be sold out...hmmm

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I just placed my order online..Black iPhone 3GS 32GB..My first iPhone. I'm having it shipped to me, delivered on the 19th with free shipping. I hate lines LOL

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Or they just want to sell more of them by making the process much easier!

10 minutes to order the 3G S today or wait in line at Apple store for hours on end with no guarantee that they won't be sold out...hmmm
Artificial shortages + media hype of said shortages = large demand. They knew what they were doing last year. It was all a plan. They know they can't fool enough people with the 3gs so they didn't bother and are letting you get it online, something they were very capable of doing for the 3g as well.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I just placed my order online..Black iPhone 3GS 32GB..My first iPhone. I'm having it shipped to me, delivered on the 19th with free shipping. I hate lines LOL
I would do that, but I need a little work around so I can get the cheaper price. That means a trip to an AT&T store and being very nice to the reps to get what I want.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I am also disappointed with the new iPhone. There was plenty Apple could of did to impress us like front facing camera, or even just change the form of the new phone. But instead they didn't do much at all. And with all the hassel of paying the full price I see little motivation to upgrade

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I am also disappointed with the new iPhone. There was plenty Apple could of did to impress us like front facing camera, or even just change the form of the new phone. But instead they didn't do much at all. And with all the hassel of paying the full price I see little motivation to upgrade
Yeah, I know.

Faster processor, 256K RAM, video recording and editing, voice control, magnetometer, upgraded camera, better battery life...

If only Apple had put on a wooden back in chartreuse...that would have been a major upgrade and I'd be all over it like a cheap suit...

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Yeah, I know.

Faster processor, 256K RAM, video recording and editing, voice control, magnetometer, upgraded camera, better battery life...

If only Apple had put on a wooden back in chartreuse...that would have been a major upgrade and I'd be all over it like a cheap suit...
So your convinced that's the best a company like Apple could do in year?
You think that's $600 worth of upgrades?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
So your convinced that's the best a company like Apple could do in year?
Camera could have been better but yeah I think it is the best they can do without having the battery life horrible and keep the phone the same size. OLED I think they will do but want to test it's life first and I have heard it isn't good in the sun, so maybe not even next year. And a front camera will come when ichat comes with the iPhone which will be when there is a 4G network.
There was nothing wrong with the case and they are going to still sell the 8GB 3G so they want them to all look the same.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah, I know.

Faster processor, 256MB RAM, video recording and editing, voice control, magnetometer, upgraded camera, better battery life...

Fixed. That would suck if it had less RAM lol.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
Camera could have been better but yeah I think it is the best they can do without having the battery life horrible and keep the phone the same size. OLED I think they will do but want to test it's life first and I have heard it isn't good in the sun, so maybe not even next year. And a front camera will come when ichat comes with the iPhone which will be when there is a 4G network.
There was nothing wrong with the case and they are going to still sell the 8GB 3G so they want them to all look the same.
i guess i got my expectations to high then i guess. i would of liked to have been blown away by the latest iPhone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I blame the mockups. They get expectations unreasonably high. Apple does amazing tech, but this stuff costs money, people! We wouldn't be able to afford an iPhone with a larger, OLED screen and another camera and FM transmitter and whatnot if it were actually released in today's market.

And it shouldn't be looked at as an "upgrade" for current users. It's an iPhone. You already have one, this one's just better. Personally, I think $200 with Apple gets you the most amazingly advanced phone on the market, hands down, no questions asked. And it's still sexy, to me at least. I have zero complaints. People just expect too much.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i guess i got my expectations to high then i guess. i would of liked to have been blown away by the latest iPhone.
We definitely got our hopes high with all the concepts and rumors, but I am happy with this upgrade. Yeah we would have loved more, but the phone is still ahead of most in a lot of areas. I think what we see each year is limited by batteries and some stuff just uses too much battery to add it now. We will soon see processors that match the ones in our computers they just need to make them very efficient on battery consumption. And the network limits a lot, but I think the year of the 4G will be when we see the biggest update.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I blame the mockups. They get expectations unreasonably high. Apple does amazing tech, but this stuff costs money, people! We wouldn't be able to afford an iPhone with a larger, OLED screen and another camera and FM transmitter and whatnot if it were actually released in today's market.

And it shouldn't be looked at as an "upgrade" for current users. It's an iPhone. You already have one, this one's just better. Personally, I think $200 with Apple gets you the most amazingly advanced phone on the market, hands down, no questions asked. And it's still sexy, to me at least. I have zero complaints. People just expect too much.
Completely agree, nothing I can even add :)