After market accessories (Lightning)

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Samtheman619, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Samtheman619

Samtheman619 Member
    Bronze

Does anybody know of any particular brands of after market accessories that are legit and won't destroy the iPhone? I'm getting the iPhone 5 delivered this week and need 2-3 chargers. I can't fathom that Apple is asking for 19 dollars for a lightning USB wire.

I bought aftermarket equipment on eBay once and it fried my iPhone 3GS. So I'm wary.

Anybody know of any legit ones? Chargers too. Would be much appreciated.

2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Samtheman619

I purchased an aftermarket charger from ebay and also fried my iPhone 3GS. It was toast! Smoke and burned smell throughout the house. It was sad. Apple actually replaced the phone for me. No problem. And I told them what happened. They just replaced it didn't charge me or anything. That was SWEET!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097BU9I6/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=thepartim-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0097BU9I6&adid=01EVF9WHJ457H8YTQJN0

Above is a link for Aftermarket accessories that Amazon is selling already. IDK how "legit" they are, but they are available.

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

4. chriskyo

chriskyo New Member

I am searching for them, too.
    Just worry about the quality and delivery speed

5. Samtheman619

Samtheman619 Member
    Bronze

I'm about to just say forget it and order the $19 cable from Apple. Unbelievable that they can get away with highway robbery like this

6. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Buy the wire from Apple and a car charger from griffin or belkin that takes any USB. This is what I'm doing for now cause I know the car chargers won't be around for a while. The only downer is I have to carry my one cable with me

7. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I agree, they should have included an adapter at least. But even one adapter wouldn't cut it for me. I had a dozen cables that are now rendered useless... WHY is it taking so long for the 3rd party cables? Apple should reconsider the prices of those cables. That is ridiculous... I'm not buying one until they are under 1o dollars...

8. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I agree, they should have included an adapter at least. But even one adapter wouldn't cut it for me. I had a dozen cables that are now rendered useless... WHY is it taking so long for the 3rd party cables? Apple should reconsider the prices of those cables. That is ridiculous... I'm not buying one until they are under 1o dollars...

9. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Good luck with any 3rd party options. It's been confirmed there's some sort of verification chip in the new lightning cables/adapters.

10. nitro882dc

nitro882dc New Member

And that chip is what gives them the ability to charge whatever they want for cable. It gives us no choice and locks the aftermarket out.

11. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

Allegedly...
    There will be third party cables. Just might take a little longer.

12. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I'm doing that too. It's a pain. I didn't sync or charge last night because my one cable was in the car and it was pouring down rain!

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app

13. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I just had to break down and go pick up a cable! Having to carry around one cable was just not gonna cut it! I need about two more to feel secure

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app

14. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I just bought 3 of those questionable generic ones on eBay. Won't ship until the end of October. Got them all for 24 dollars and free shipping. And the descriptions says it will work with my car stereo so if it doesn't I will be opening a claim on eBay and getting my money back.

15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

They're not gonna work because the authentication chip, cancel the transaction and get your money back.

16. Hayesimus

Hayesimus Contributor
    Bronze

I can get my money back after I try them out. I still don't buy the whole chip fail. Ill believe it when someone actually tries one. Lol but either way my money is safe.

17. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I'm hoping the aftermarkets will at least be able to charge. I'm guessing because of the chip, there's no way you'll get audio out of the non-Apple cables. Maybe not even power.