Agent 18 Case Mod

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
So, I read in a post that it would be a good idea to cut out the tree logo on the back of the Agent 18 iPhone case, so you can see the Apple Logo behind it, and it worked out pretty good! I am at work right now, i work at The Home Depot, so i had all of the tools available to me, but i can't post pictures until I get home tonight. All you need is a Dremel tool, a drill bit, a grinding wheel, some loose sandpaper ( i used 120 grit and 220 grit to grind and then smooth the edges), and a black sharpie to darken the cutout when you are done! It only took 30 minutes, and I might do another one that i spend more time on, but overall it came out great! Again, I will post photos on this post when I get home tonight. Thanks for the great idea kylegod!

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ok, here are the photos of the mod. Again, this was my first attempt, and the next one should come out a lot cleaner. Along with the second post to follow shortly in the future, i will include step by step photo instructions, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this is sweet.. i enjoy seen mods all the time and this one is a good one!

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yeah, this was fun to do, since i did it at work, (The Home Depot), i had a bunch of people watching me. It was like doing a big Dremel Demo. I cant wait to do the next one!

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
So, I read in a post that it would be a good idea to cut out the tree logo on the back of the Agent 18 iPhone case, so you can see the Apple Logo behind it, and it worked out pretty good! I am at work right now, i work at The Home Depot, so i had all of the tools available to me, but i can't post pictures until I get home tonight. All you need is a Dremel tool, a drill bit, a grinding wheel, some loose sandpaper ( i used 120 grit and 220 grit to grind and then smooth the edges), and a black sharpie to darken the cutout when you are done! It only took 30 minutes, and I might do another one that i spend more time on, but overall it came out great! Again, I will post photos on this post when I get home tonight. Thanks for the great idea kylegod!
awesome! Im glad you liked the idea and did it. Looks cool. Now I'm definitely gonna do it. Thanks for the pictures

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
You know, i might try to do a circle on the next one... it would be even easier if i used a hole saw.... do you know if the clear one has a tree logo on it or is that just for the eco shield? if it doesn't, it will come out a lot cleaner with a circle mod. It kinda reminds me of the video shield for the 5g ipod i have. it has a little smooth spot where the Apple logo is so you can see it clearly instead of the rough design that they put on the rest of the unit.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Thats really sweet! It would be even more cool if you could cut it out perfectly like the Apple logo so thats the ONLY part that you see. I LOVE the idea though, awesome work!

piratemc74

Jan 12, 2008
Always wanted a reason to by a dremmel tool :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You know, i might try to do a circle on the next one... it would be even easier if i used a hole saw.... do you know if the clear one has a tree logo on it or is that just for the eco shield?
the tree symbol designates the "eco" line (being that they're supposed to be eco-friendly). So, no the clear does not have a logo.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
I am trying to decide if it would work better with a small circle on a clear case, large circle on a black case, or maybe, just maybe inserting a small piece of plexiglass where the tree logo used to be... i am just thinking out loud, if i could get some feedback i will be picking up a new case or two tomorrow to play with...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
why drill out a clear case? you can see the Apple perfectly fine...

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
if you look closely... i had posted that at the same time as the other post which showed the picture of the clear case. i had never seen the back before, (and I really like it...) and I did not know that the Apple tile was smooth, unlike the rest of the case. I might have to switch out the mod for the half and half...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, it looks cool, but, be warned, the clear cases tend not to fit as snugly as the black ones. I have tried two, and both were unacceptably loose.

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
it might be worth trying to mod the clear one then... by adding small rubber or foam pads into the corners not only will it fit more snugly, it will also add protection from drops or falls

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i considered that, but the problem with that is it would increase the gaps between the phone and case, allowing debris to work in between them.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Heres my modded case.
I gotta take more time if I do this again. I kinda rushed it. But it came out cool.