AIM app not always on?

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
usually at work i am on aim on my pc. but when i leave, i would like to get notified by a tone that someone is messaging me. it seems that i have to be on the aim screen to get the notice. does the app turn off when you press the home button? any way to change all this?

massyman

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
usually at work i am on aim on my pc. but when i leave, i would like to get notified by a tone that someone is messaging me. it seems that i have to be on the aim screen to get the notice. does the app turn off when you press the home button? any way to change all this?
i believe it does turn off and no way to change it..hopefully an update will come soon.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
is aim the only app to use? is there one for say yahoo, icq and aim all together that has options or something?

massyman

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
is aim the only app to use? is there one for say yahoo, icq and aim all together that has options or something?
not sure..i believe so far AIM is the only one.

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
If you checkout reviews for the AIM app (like Engadget, Giz,etc) and around here you'll note there is no notification (push) service until late summer (Sept), which is what may these notifications pop up. Also, since Apple doesn't allow for apps to be running in the background for the time being either (because of memory/performance/etc issues or something), this would prevent your issue.

I agree that messaging apps should be allowed to run because how else would you know your getting a message? My big thing is I hope to utilitze something like this to beat down those text message expenses.

anneuryzm

Jul 8, 2008
It doesn't give you notifications, no. It is for the 3G. It's just an option, thought I'd throw it out there. :)

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
thank you very much! thats nice. but the point was to get an app or an option somewhere to get the notification.. this isn't good.. hmm.. JB ? :)

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
and fyi, that beejive wont open on my phone.. anyone else?

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
The 2.0 firmware doesn't allow background applications.

You can always try meebo.com, its another one of those popular online MSN/AIM/Yahoo instant messenger things.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
thanks for the online chat services.. although, again, i am looking for a notification of new messages. is this REALLY that much to ask for from Apple?

sgrizzle

Jul 17, 2008
thanks for the online chat services.. although, again, i am looking for a notification of new messages. is this REALLY that much to ask for from Apple?

If anyone watched the 3g keynote, the AIM app and others are supposed to be popping up notifications through the push service. Either there is a bug in AIM or they just don't have it hooked into the push service yet.

Edit: Push isn't active yet, see below.

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
whoa whoa whoa.. WHAT!?

explain and describe please. is this something they or us are missing?

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
If anyone watched the 3g keynote, the AIM app and others are supposed to be popping up notifications through the push service. Either there is a bug in AIM or they just don't have it hooked into the push service yet.
is push only for the enterprise data plan (extra $15 per month)? or can that be used with either plan?

sgrizzle

Jul 17, 2008
Push is for home and enterprise (mobileme uses push)

It will be running in September

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
nice work!

so what do we do to get this working then?

"anyone got stevie's number?" haha

sgrizzle

Jul 17, 2008
More waiting I guess. I was hoping Apple would release a cross-vendor ichat program so you could talk to AIM, Yahoo, etc. with one program.

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
... pretty much addressed this on the first page, any ways, as announced at the Keynote the Push service should be available early September.

I'm sure that other chat apps will be rolling out to address the multiple clients such that as the previously jailbroken apps. (apolloIM & such)

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
the push notifications won't be coming until September (I think ). either way, It will be just in time for beejive to release their own app.

which by the way, I think the beejive webapp is like 10 times better than the AIM app (except for the SMS thing) you should be able to at least be able to receive messages when you're logged off and be able to view them the next time You log in.