AIM app

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Well after updating to 2.0 and downloading the AIM app, I wanted to share some things that I noticed about it.

1: It doesn't alert you if you get IM's when you're not using the app, and sometimes doesn't show you your new IM's when you go back to the app. People have already been complaining that they sent me tons of IM's and I haven't been responding... "/

2: There's no way to sign off! Seriously...thats kind of..expected to be there if you know what I mean...

Did anyone else notice anything?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Well after updating to 2.0 and downloading the AIM app, I wanted to share some things that I noticed about it.

1: It doesn't alert you if you get IM's when you're not using the app, and sometimes doesn't show you your new IM's when you go back to the app. People have already been complaining that they sent me tons of IM's and I haven't been responding... "/

2: There's no way to sign off! Seriously...thats kind of..expected to be there if you know what I mean...

You can sign off in the settings menu, apparently.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
1: It doesn't alert you if you get IM's when you're not using the app, and sometimes doesn't show you your new IM's when you go back to the app. People have already been complaining that they sent me tons of IM's and I haven't been responding... "
Perhaps a settings problem?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You can sign off in the settings menu, apparently.
In the settings menu, its just a setting that you can choose to have on or off where it signs you off after you leave the app...but thats not what most people want.

Something that leaves you signed on and alerts you at new messages would be better and stuff...but yeah.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
In the settings menu, its just a setting that you can choose to have on or off where it signs you off after you leave the app...but thats not what most people want.

Something that leaves you signed on and alerts you at new messages would be better and stuff...but yeah.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to leave you signed on when you leave the app if it's not going to notify you. I believe this is the v0.9 version that really needs the push notification services coming in September. Then that will make more sense.

vip

Jul 10, 2008

Here is what I can conclude. The AIM app was supposed to be released Friday July 11th. Since they released it early, they may offer updates. I doubt it though. On another note, since the push service is not active yet, then those IM's that you didn't receive would make sense. With Apple's push service, they will keep the connection to the AIM servers for you, so it will be as if you never signed off. Thus, when this does go live, you should receive all IM's pushed to your iPhone. When you aren't using the app and push is active, it should automatically push the messages to your phone similar to sms messages according to the demo they showed a few months back.

Correct me if I'm wrong please...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to leave you signed on when you leave the app if it's not going to notify you. I believe this is the v0.9 version that really needs the push notification services coming in September. Then that will make more sense.
Yeah. Hopefully there can be an update to fix some minor bugs and offer more customization of the app...like the sound and stuff like that.

vip

Jul 10, 2008
One more note.

This app should have been released in September. Without PUSH, really this APP is useless.....

The whole point of the AIM app is to use it when you are on the homescreen. The thing is, you can be doing other things than IM'mg all day. I could be on safari browsing espn and voila, I get an IM from my buddy. It should be used like text messaging, you reply when you receive messages. Or at least that is how I envision the proper use of it.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
One more note.

This app should have been released in September. Without PUSH, really this APP is useless.....

The whole point of the AIM app is to use it when you are on the homescreen. The thing is, you can be doing other things than IM'mg all day. I could be on safari browsing espn and voila, I get an IM from my buddy. It should be used like text messaging, you reply when you receive messages. Or at least that is how I envision the proper use of it.
Exactly. It should be more like texting.
Hopefully, come September, there wont be anymore issues.

gibby71

Silver
Jan 8, 2008
in a galaxy far far away...
I think you all may be jumping the gun on this.... I think the "push" part of it is not on yet. I have not noticed any of the push working yet on any of the apps. As for logging off if you go into your iPhone setting you will see AIM listed there. In there you have an option to log off when exit.

vip

Jul 10, 2008
I think some may be missing the point here. The AIM app is a freakin awesome app. It is probably the best IM app on the market in my opinion. But the only downside is using it with no push notification service. Until september, this app cant really be used to its full extent...

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I think some may be missing the point here. The AIM app is a freakin awesome app. It is probably the best IM app on the market in my opinion. But the only downside is using it with no push notification service. Until september, this app cant really be used to its full extent...
thanks for the encouragement...what do you meen by until september? does this app count as text?

mc751n

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
this app is very buggy for me.. was testing it and I didn't get every IM on the iPhone, and sometimes I would but it would come up blank. Also, the IMs wouldn't show up until I went to the home screen and came back to the app. In the settings if you have the "Sign-off on exit" as on, there's no way to sign off in the app..