AIM for iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
hey you gyus, whats a good way or how can i get AIM onto my iPhone? just got it an hour ago and noticed a few websites on google but not sure which is better/safe or what not etc etc. BTW do i install via iPhone safari or computer then iPhone?

Pharaoh

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
hey you gyus, whats a good way or how can i get AIM onto my iPhone? just got it an hour ago and noticed a few websites on google but not sure which is better/safe or what not etc etc. BTW do i install via iPhone safari or computer then iPhone?
Search on this website an application called AppTapp. What this is is an INSTALLER for your iPhone, which updates all the third party apps automatically into one area for you. You attatch your iPhone to your dock, run the AppTapp and its on your phone. Then run the new icon on your main screen called Installer and you are ready to mod your iPhone. There are a few AIM applications, the most popular are 'ApolloIM' and 'MobileChat' Mobile chat is ONLY aim, while apollo is other messenger services also. ApolloIM has a great AIM but i notice it eats battery really really fast and noticed my phone actually getting HOT as i ran the ap, I would recommend MobileChat. Once you get Installer on your iPhone its all easy from there, let me know if you have any questions

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Of course, if you have 1.1.1, you're out of luck but you can downgrade to 1.0.2. Good luck! The Installer is your best friend.

Pharaoh

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Of course, if you have 1.1.1, you're out of luck but you can downgrade to 1.0.2. Good luck! The Installer is your best friend.
Yeah I did forget to mention that, Apple is cracking down on the MODing, so the latest versions of iTunes will not allow you to do it. So in order to keep my mods, everytime iTunes says an upgrade is available, i just say NO. lol.

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I did forget to mention that, Apple is cracking down on the MODing, so the latest versions of iTunes will not allow you to do it. So in order to keep my mods, everytime iTunes says an upgrade is available, i just say NO. lol.
when do the updates come? through my phone or when i connect to the computer and the Itune program on my computer detects and says update is available?

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Search on this website an application called AppTapp. What this is is an INSTALLER for your iPhone, which updates all the third party apps automatically into one area for you. You attatch your iPhone to your dock, run the AppTapp and its on your phone. Then run the new icon on your main screen called Installer and you are ready to mod your iPhone. There are a few AIM applications, the most popular are 'ApolloIM' and 'MobileChat' Mobile chat is ONLY aim, while apollo is other messenger services also. ApolloIM has a great AIM but i notice it eats battery really really fast and noticed my phone actually getting HOT as i ran the ap, I would recommend MobileChat. Once you get Installer on your iPhone its all easy from there, let me know if you have any questions
i checked i can't find that AppTapp program on here...and how do i go about it? sorry im a newbie lol. do i d/l on my comp, connect my iPhone to comp then it loads it itsellf? or i Run the Apptapp then the iPhone automatically installs it and then i choose what i want to install as far as softwares?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It's not sophisticated, but you CAN use AIM without modding your phone, regressing your firmware, etc... Just use Safari and go to http://iPhone.beejive.com and register for free. It works great. I use it all the time.

akophone

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
ok i installed apptapp thing but i don't see any IM softwares to d/l under installer...

and how do i upload ring tones?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
If you go to the main settings on your phone (there is no settings within the AIM app itself), there is option where you can set AIM to signout when you hit the home button.

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Question: if you hit the home button, and you have the settings to NOT sign out, you can still receive messages? What's the point of the Push Notification Service to come in September then? Or does this setting not truly work until PNS is rolled out?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Question: if you hit the home button, and you have the settings to NOT sign out, you can still receive messages? What's the point of the Push Notification Service to come in September then? Or does this setting not truly work until PNS is rolled out?
my guess is no

i think the app actually closes when you hit the home button
the september notification service will send the badges and vibrations to let you know that there is a message (but the app will still be closed)