AIM Forwarding

Jun 28, 2007
The following is how to set up IM forwarding for use with the iPhone. It may be old news to you (espicially if you are a long-term AIM user)

So since text messaging is sort of set up like iChat, I decided to start using the IM Forwarding service on AOL Instant Messenger.

This is probably only a reasonable temporary solution if you have UNLIMITED texting.

I tested this only in AIM version 5.9, although I'm positive it works in later versions. Go to the "My AIM" menu, select "Edit Options", then "Edit Preferences". Next, go to the IM/Chat/Mobile tab and select "IM Forwarding" under mobile phone. Follow the prompts, and you will now ALWAYS appear online (when you are away from the computer, it will have a cell phone icon).

Whenever someone Instant messages you, it'll open a new thread in the iPhone SMS application automatically, and the conversation occurs just like it would in iChat. If you are chatting on the computer with someone, and you sign off, it will never even inform the person you logged off and the conversation will pick RIGHT back up on your iPhone.

The obvious disadvantage to this is you don't have access to your buddy list, so your friends actually want to have to talk to you :p.

Jul 3, 2007
Thats not working

I switched from verizon to Cingular and now IM forwarding on AIM is not working. I use it for work so if anyone can fix this for me I will pay them. Please email me at:

Aug 29, 2007
Torrington, CT
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has anyone else' IM Forwarding died in the past week? Like since the 3.0 update? I used it fine for 2 years and all of a sudden I can't get it to work. The new AIM app only leaves you signed in for 24 hours and it's annoying to have to go and sign in for a moment just to keep online, kind of defeats the purpose.