AIM from the developer of AIM

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
http://iPhone.macworld.com/2007/07/tinybuddy_aim_for_iphone_from_1.php

or from the iPhone

x.aim.com/ty

Story :
There’s a new web-based instant messaging client for the iPhone, and it’s kind of, sort of, from AOL. It’s TinyBuddy, written by AOL employee James Burke and hosted by the AOL Greenhouse. It’s not an official AOL project, but Burke’s used his up-close knowledge of how AIM works to make a instant-messaging client for iPhone that’s a bit different than all the others when it comes to security. TinyBuddy uses AOL’s OpenAuth servers to authenticate you, meaning that the TinyBuddy web site never touches your password — so it can’t store it and use it later. Instead, TinyBuddy’s embedded JavaScript only handles a special authentication token provided by AIM. I’m pretty sure the other people doing AIM clients for the iPhone, such as JiveTalk, aren’t harvesting passwords for re-sale to criminals, but TinyBuddy’s approach makes the whole thing even more transparent.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
Nice

http://iPhone.macworld.com/2007/07/tinybuddy_aim_for_iphone_from_1.php

or from the iPhone

x.aim.com/ty

Story :
There’s a new web-based instant messaging client for the iPhone, and it’s kind of, sort of, from AOL. It’s TinyBuddy, written by AOL employee James Burke and hosted by the AOL Greenhouse. It’s not an official AOL project, but Burke’s used his up-close knowledge of how AIM works to make a instant-messaging client for iPhone that’s a bit different than all the others when it comes to security. TinyBuddy uses AOL’s OpenAuth servers to authenticate you, meaning that the TinyBuddy web site never touches your password — so it can’t store it and use it later. Instead, TinyBuddy’s embedded JavaScript only handles a special authentication token provided by AIM. I’m pretty sure the other people doing AIM clients for the iPhone, such as JiveTalk, aren’t harvesting passwords for re-sale to criminals, but TinyBuddy’s approach makes the whole thing even more transparent.
It doesn't store my buddies, so I have to remember their screen names (and that can be a challenge at my age) but I did IM with my daughter for a long time last night which would've used up tens of my 200 texts otherwise. It's encouraging, I"m sure we'll get a nice IM widget some day...

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
It doesn't store my buddies, so I have to remember their screen names (and that can be a challenge at my age) but I did IM with my daughter for a long time last night which would've used up tens of my 200 texts otherwise. It's encouraging, I"m sure we'll get a nice IM widget some day...
thats weird, my buddies showed fine.

LauraBee

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Napa, CA
www.flyingcolorstattoo.com
Now that I've tried beejive too I'm dropping the first one. How could I not like something called BEEjive?

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
i played with the app for a little, its not bad, but i think jivetalk is eons better at this point in time
Couldn't agree more. Much easier and faster to use, with connecting also. Only cool feature with this new aim program is the option to put away message on.

wav tones

Jul 1, 2007
Couldn't agree more. Much easier and faster to use, with connecting also. Only cool feature with this new aim program is the option to put away message on.
why do u ppl say its better then tiny buddy?
Ive never used aim on my phone i used tinybuddy n its cool i like it, haven't used jivetalk yet, why is better can ppl compare them?
so i kno wat to use.

wav tones

Jul 1, 2007
nvm, i jus used jivetalk and yes it seems better. I deff like it a lot ima acually keep it n use, does it use your text messages?
I have 1500, but upgraded to unlimited last week so i dunno if the change is immidietly or after next bill cycle.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
nvm, i jus used jivetalk and yes it seems better. I deff like it a lot ima acually keep it n use, does it use your text messages?
I have 1500, but upgraded to unlimited last week so i dunno if the change is immidietly or after next bill cycle.
It uses your data package/internet. I personally like it better for its simplicity. Connecting to the server takes seconds even on edge and not even wifi. Having several windows open slows it down a minimal amount and its pretty appealing. A straight forward app. The other took a while to connect, had to go through authentications and different servers, you couldnt close an im chat window even when pressing close!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I like that it dosn't REFRESH like the others do. Also I love the fact in constantly stays up instead of fading. I don't know why it does this. I haven't touched it and its still bright.