AirDrop glitch...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jmp316, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

So my wife and I both have the iPhone 5, recently updated to iOS 7. As we were out today I decided to test the AirDrop feature by sending her a picture. When I attempt to AirDrop it to her, surprisingly, my name and picture comes up as HER phone. Assuming a glitch, I messed around with some contact info., resets, etc., but could not fix this.

Yes, we do share an Apple ID, but I just assumed that this wouldn't matter because they are two separate devices. Reading some on the Apple discussion forums, many others are in my same situation.

I know it's not the biggest concern in the world, but it's driving me nuts! I want to know which device I'm sending something to!

I'm hoping for a fix soon. Anyone else notice this?

2. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

I tried this last night with my wife. My wife's phone (my old iPhone 5) showed up as me in my choices, and my new iPhone 5s shows up as my daughter when she received the pic.

3. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I had the same problem. I haven't got around to it but I think you go to iCloud and under my info out you're pic on it maybe it will show it right. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

WE can do it no issues we airdrop between 3 phones

5. shutter13

shutter13 Evangelist
    Gold

But do the right names show? I can send things to my wife's phone, but it shows I'm sending it to myself and she shows she is receiving from my daughter.

6. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

The names are right. The pictures in the bubbles were wrong. I did a similar thing like you. My wife got my 5 and u for a 5S which seems like what you did.

Now my pictures for the contact bubbles are correct now

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

7. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I'm having a different problem. I can only see people when they have set their airdrop to everyone, but they see me just fine it doesn't matter if I'm set to contacts only or everyone, they must be set to everyone to see them. Yes they are in my contacts, it's my wife and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

#7 Docd, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  8. LPeshkinJr

LPeshkinJr New Member

I'm in the same boat, airdrop shows my iPhone as my wife's. I called Apple they said its a contact issue but had no real solutions yet.

9. superteds34

superteds34 New Member

Hi I'm having some airplay problems as well! Since latest ios7 update I have no icon that indicates airplay is available - on bbc iplayer or YouTube ? This is the same on iPad or my ipod touch5. I'm about to reset my atv since reading this thread. If it works I'll keep you all posted
    Many thanks
    Brian

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did you drop off of WiFi? The icon disappears when you're on cellular.

If you are on WiFi and it's still not showing up, try a hard reset. Press the home and power buttons at the same time and let go of both when you see the Apple logo.

11. superteds34

superteds34 New Member

Hi Europa, many thanks for the ideas. Have already tried hard reset and the same for the Apple TV - no joy. iPad and iPod touch both have latest updates, not sure that is a good thing! I am successfuly streaming spotify premium to an old iPod touch docked to my hi fi system from my Apple iMac. I use a third party software to do this- airfoil.
    Any other ideas?
    Brian

Sent using iCafe app

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So it's just those two apps? Try deleting and reinstalling BBC Player and YouTube. If that doesn't work, try an alternate YouTube app. I use Jasmine. It's a lot better than the default YouTube app, in my opinion.

13. superteds34

superteds34 New Member

Cheers, already on it!

Sent using iCafe app

14. superteds34

superteds34 New Member

Oops just woken up - I noticed for the first yor topic title is air drop NOT airplay! This could possibly be why you cannot help me - I think I maybe beyond help! Just in case someone can - it's the airplay icon that has disappeared? Many thanks for trying!
    Brian

Sent using iCafe app

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I knew you were talking about AirPlay. Did you try reinstalling those two apps?

16. superteds34

superteds34 New Member

Yes! No joy. Watched bbc iplayer and YouTube last night and no sign of the airplay icon. I'm impressed with your mind reading capabilities! How many Apple devices am I holding up?
    Brian

Sent using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Uninstall YouTube and check if AirPlay works from the mobile YouTube website. If so, I'd just use that or one of the alternate YouTube apps.

18. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

My problem with airdrop is that it's slow to show the person that available for airdrop. Sometimes it won't even show the person at all. I just wish it was a little faster establishing the connection.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I noticed the same thing when I visited Mindi this last time. It's too slow to establish the connection most of the time.

20. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

What I wanna know is why it doesn't consistently work?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk