Airplane mode + WiFi

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I know this is an old subject, but I have never known about this until today so hopefully it can help others too.

Wifi can be enabled (since 2.2) whilst in airplane mode. This can be really useful when in an office etc with no signal but wifi.

I'm sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here but I think this is a great feature as when abroad it could also stop roaming charges if you always have your phone in airplane mode and find a wifi signal.

Can't believe this feature has been around since 2.2 and I haven't seen it until now. :)

To turn on, turn on airplane mode and then just flick wifi on.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
With the 3G, my wifi would turn on/stay on automatically when I put it into airplane mode(if I left wifi on before I went into plane mode). That's how I found out and actually thought it was annoying when trying to shut down all radios after the flight attendants get serious about it.

The day after the 3GS rolled out, I took a flight from Fort Lauderdale to JFK. Lasted a few hours.

And the beauty of it was Delta offered wifi service on this flight. $9.99 for the whole trip. Bargain!

So here's a great place to use it when you can.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
OMG thank you. I am going to be traveling to Canada and this will save me time since I won't have to jailbreak now :)
Thanks

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
I figredthat outcouple days ago it was helpful to see the battery difference wit data network completly off.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I know this is an old subject, but I have never known about this until today so hopefully it can help others too.

Wifi can be enabled (since 2.2) whilst in airplane mode. This can be really useful when in an office etc with no signal but wifi.

I'm sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse here but I think this is a great feature as when abroad it could also stop roaming charges if you always have your phone in airplane mode and find a wifi signal.

Can't believe this feature has been around since 2.2 and I haven't seen it until now. :)

To turn on, turn on airplane mode and then just flick wifi on.
Thanks for bring that up. I remember asking for something similar back in '07 when the iPhone was first released. It would often switch to EDGE at my house, but never switch back. So I wanted a way to disable EDGE, or even the phone itself, but still have WiFi.

I would assume they allow this because more and more airlines are putting WiFi on their planes.

--
Mike

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I would assume they allow this because more and more airlines are putting WiFi on their planes.
Mike
Yes, thats what I thought too. I believe (read it on here) that AA are offering a wifi service now for cross county flights for around $10?

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
I spent 6-wks in Chile for a science field program and used the airplane mode + wifi to call home via skype! Worked like a charm. Especially when compared to the international rates that AT&T was offering! :eek:k:eek:k

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I run my phone this way at work. The cell signal isn't very good on the Hospital floor I work on, so my battery drains throughout the shift if I'm not in Airplane mode. Since I have Mobile Me and push email, people can get a hold of me with email through WiFi and then I can call from a landline or switch off of Airplane mode and walk to a window to make a call.