AirPlay mirroring desktop

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by dmksaved, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dmksaved

dmksaved Member
    Bronze

With iOS 5.0 coming with iPad 2 mirroring . why can't AirPlay mirroring work with my Imac desktop? You would think there is a way for that to work or Apple would release it.
    there is air flick that allows AirPlay to work on a Mac to Play from iPhone to the Mac . But I'm hoping to mirror my display on my iMac so I can just hook an Apple tv up to the basement tv with my imac in the loft... and see my desktop and browse the internet.

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Why don't you use a remote desktop app? Something like iTeleport would work just nicely.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. iTeleport is a great choice. Another one worth mentioning is Splashtop. You can play music and video from your desktop using Splashtop.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It doesn't sound like he wants to view his iMac on the iPad. He wants to view his iMac on the TV. I don't think you can directly do this wirelessly. You can connect a MBP or iMac to your TV with a cable. The iPad mirrors to the TV, but that's showing you what's on your iPad, not your iMac. You could use an iPad 2, running 5.0, remotely logged into your iMac with iTeleport, but that's a convoluted way to get a browser on your TV. You may just want to jailbreak the ATV 2, which will install a browser.

http://www.appletvhacks.net/

5. dmksaved

dmksaved Member
    Bronze

What I'm looking for is to mirror the iMac display just like an ipad 2 would so I can watch video like hulu from my iMac to the Apple tv without buying expensive Hdmi wireless adaptors. Teleport will not play videos real time.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think you can do that wirelessly.

You can stream Netflix directly to an Apple TV 2.

You can stream video (all formats) stored on your iMac hard drive to your iDevice with Air Video and then use AirPlay to view it on your TV through the ATV 2. It runs in the background so you can multitask.

I don't know if Hulu has been updated for AirPlay support, but there are tweaks to get it to work if it still hasn't been updated:

7. dmksaved

dmksaved Member
    Bronze

I do not want to pay for hulu plus when I can watch hulu for free on the desktop. What im saying is Apple or a third party app should give us a way to display our thousand Dollar or more iMac desktop over AirPlay.

8. dmksaved

dmksaved Member
    Bronze

This app seems to be the right choice . I could hook my ipad up to the tv though Hdmi and open splash top and then control my computer with my iPhone on the couch . Great option . And no Apple tv required going to try it out !

9. the watcher

the watcher Member
    Bronze

I'm hoping comes this fall when the iPhone 5 comes out I'm hoping that we will be able to do the mirroring with iPhone 5 just like the iPad that would be cool

10. Goshil

Goshil New Member

Hi guys! Here is a rus site with many wireless HDMI solutions, for example - this device (third video is about using with Mac), but there is many more functional kits there.

11. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I just tried splashtop to do this and it does not work. Well, it sorta works but lags bad. I did mirroring with my iPad2 to my Apple TV and then ran splashtop and hooked to my MacBook Pro. Fired up Hulu and yes, it displayed the video, there was no audio and it was choppy as heck.