AirPlay mirroring with iOS 5 and iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Hondamaker, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Just a heads up---you can't use airplay mirroring with the iPhone 4 and iOS 5. It will only work with the new 4S, but it'll work with the iPad 2.

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Thanks. I just asked about this in another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I know - I answered :p

Honda, I think this is a really crappy move by Apple. Why they couldn't allow us to mirror the iPhone 4 I'll never know.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They add new software features every year that only work on the new phone. Although the previous year's phone is capable of running certain features, they purposefully omit them to add to the selling points of the new device. They want to have new software features as well as new hardware features to entice people to upgrade. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint. One of the features that only worked on the 3GS when it came out was white on black (reverse video) in accessibility. I tend to think something like that would work just fine on the 2G and 3G.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I know what you're saying, it's just a little frustrating. Hopefully some delightful developer-type person will push a tweak out through Cydia to enable this feature. One of the main reasons why I purchased my ATV2 on Monday was because of the mirroring feature.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I bet they will. It might be as simple as changing a false to a true in a .plist like we did to enable task switching on non-supported devices.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I hope it's literally that simple. I know that Apple wont allow it in any future 5.x update that's for sure. Suppose I've got leverage to upgrade now.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I wasn't very impressed with the mirroring anyway. It's basically useless for games, because you have to look at the device to know where to tap. And the TV lags a bit behind the device. And the video is horribly compressed even over a fast network.

I could see it being useful for Keynote or other similar apps... but how many people really need to display a Keynote presentation in their living room?

Everything else can be done with airplay - pics, music, videos...

9. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I'll probably still buy an iPhone 4S and I'll use the mirroring occasionally. I'll definitely be using the AirPlay features, though. With a baby on the way, it's an easy way to show people pictures on the big screen. I'd represent the show in Keynote type fashion :)

10. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I used it last night and it works good for racing games where you don't have to look at the screen. I thought the video was very good. For example, the Netflix quality that was airplayed from my iPad2 actually looked better than the Netflix movie played from the AppleTv app.

Biggest thing I saw was that since the iPad isn't a wide screen device, you loose a lot of screen real estate on your TV if you have a big flat screen like me.

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

AirPlay video looks great. It's the mirroring that doesn't look so hot. Or at least it didn't for me around beta 5 or so. Maybe they've improved it.

12. KevJD

KevJD Member
    Bronze

I agree completely! This was announced as a feature of 5.0, way before there was talk of the next iPhone, and yet it's a feature only available on the newest iPhone. They should have never mentioned a feature that was only to be available on an as of yet unknown new phone.

13. thomasvision

thomasvision New Member

AirPlay is available on iPhone 4. I have been using it to mirror YouTube videos to Apple tv since I received the update. Is it not working for you guys?

14. jhurster

jhurster New Member

AirPlay is different than mirroring. YouTube and others work but things like apps, games, etc don't on iPhone 4… yet.

Pimpin my iPhone 4 w/ iOS 5 using the iCafe app

15. thomasvision

thomasvision New Member

oh okay, my mistake. Thanks for showing me the difference. (sigh) just downloaded real racing 2 today and was looking forward to airplay with it later =.(

16. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I see you understand my point entirely. It's so damn annoying when you spend £99 on a device for specific reasons and then you're informed you only have limited capabilities. Grrr!

I'll just have to buy an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2 (or at least convince the wife-to-be that I need them).

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

It was known that the iPhone 4 couldn't mirror back at the first iOS 5 announcement. Same with iPad 1.

18. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

That maybe so but the iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of it. If the iPhone 4 can stream audio and video with ease why can't it mirror?

I'm not even bothered, I'll just wait until a tweak is released.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

20. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If Siri's been successfuly ported to the iPhone 4 then I demand a tweak for mirroring.

I may even give it a try, I've been experimenting with tweaks for the last few weeks. It's difficult but fun.