Airplay on Apple TV

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I do love my Apple TV. But I'm getting tired of the Apps on my iPad that will not stream video content to my Apple TV. I was experimenting with Amazon TV App last night and after much testing. I found a article on the internet that says it will Airplay audio only. Really? Why even advertise you can airplay, if it's audio ONLY.

Same thing with other TV Apps.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I do love my Apple TV. But I'm getting tired of the Apps on my iPad that will not stream video content to my Apple TV. I was experimenting with Amazon TV App last night and after much testing. I found a article on the internet that says it will Airplay audio only. Really? Why even advertise you can airplay, if it's audio ONLY.

Same thing with other TV Apps.
Maybe for music apps?

Sent using iCafe app

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
A lot of streaming video services are bound by contractual limitations to not allow Airplay. Supposedly this somehow prevents competition with their more traditional revenue streams. You can blame movie and TV production companies for not allowing what should be a universal feature on any iOS media app.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
A lot of streaming video services are bound by contractual limitations to not allow Airplay. Supposedly this somehow prevents competition with their more traditional revenue streams. You can blame movie and TV production companies for not allowing what should be a universal feature on any iOS media app.
Yes that's true, we consumers get gouched at every turn starting with Apple.

Sent using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
How do I mirror....?

I agree with psylichon . It's also sad that I pay for service for like HBO.., and I can't Airplay their HBOGo App.
From the home screen double tap the home button and move the submenu to the left twice past the music controls and you will see the menu to mirror providing you have an Apple TV in range.

Sent using iCafe app

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Awesome... I'll try that when I get home from work. Thanks liberated

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
How do I mirror....?
Only certain devices can mirror over AirPlay. Which device do you have?

Certain apps don't work over AirPlay either, which is annoying. Some apps can only stream audio rather than audio and video.

Sent using iCafe app

John Tierney

Heretic
Bronze
May 1, 2011
Massachusetts

Certain apps don't work over AirPlay either, which is annoying. Some apps can only stream audio rather than audio and video.

Sent using iCafe app
But I'm quite sure all apps mirror. Not sure if audio on all apps will play on TV.
testing now.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007

That's been my experience with Airplay also. I have a iPhone 5, iPad 3 and Apple TV Gen 2 and 3.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
But I'm quite sure all apps mirror. Not sure if audio on all apps will play on TV.
testing now.
It's not the apps that mirror, it's mirroring the device as well. And not all devices support AirPlay mirroring onto the Apple TV2/3. For example the iPhone 4 cannot mirror onto the ATV2/3 - it's the iPhone 4S and upwards and iPad 2 and upwards. I don't know about the iPad Mini?

radtechy

Contributor
Silver
Jul 20, 2011
A little off topic but its in regards to AirPlay.....

Way do I need to stream using AirPlay?

Sent using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
A little off topic but its in regards to AirPlay.....

Way do I need to stream using AirPlay?

Sent using iCafe app
You need an Apple TV and iOS device

Sent using iCafe app