AirPods arriving, pleasing customers with their sound quality

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Rafagon, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So far initial reviews are positive. They are certainly up to the task "for [a] normal listening experience for everyday users who aren't audiophiles."

Personally, I love the integration with iOS, and this would certainly be one important reason to consider them. I'm constantly stressing the cables of wired headphones beyond their ability, apparently, as I often end up with a connection that results in muted sound unless I manipulate and hold on the cables (i.e. the second I let go the sound goes bad again). This results in a new headphone purchase. This would obviously not be a concern with wireless headphones.

From the article: "PS: one nice touch: in a very long conversation when the battery of one of the Airpods was gone (after two sound notifications), I could keep one charging while using the reamining [sic] battery from the other. After 10 minutes, I could do the opposite with plenty of battery in the semicharged one. Call was never dropped and the other end didn't notice about these changes. Neat."

Also from the article, here's a screenshot showing how nicely they work with the widget, followed by an explanation of what you're looking at.

airpods-battery-widget-800x708.jpg

"The iPhone battery widget also has a detailed integration with AirPods, updating whenever the AirPods are in your ear or in the charging case. In the [above] image, the left screenshot shows the iPhone battery widget with each AirPod in the case and charging, and the right screenshot shows one AirPod removed from the case while the other remains inside."

I'll post a link to a teardown of the EarPods, once available, on this thread.

There is a speculative teardown currently available.

#1 Rafagon, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

AirPods: Unboxing

3. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

You can get those by the 22nd delivered from BestBuy

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

iFixit has published their AirPods Teardown.

Highlights:
    • the case's overall power capacity: 398 mAh
    • the case's battery is a 3.81-volt, 1.52-watt-hour lithium-polymer cell with roughly 16 times the power capacity of the AirPods' battery—you should be able to top them up eight times between case charges
    • each AirPod's battery has a 93 milliwatt hour battery—equivalent to a little over 1% of the charge capacity in an iPhone 7
    • model number of the left AirPod: A1722
    • model number of the right AirPod: A1523

#4 Rafagon, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

To help you find Apple stores with AirPods in stock, Apple has created a tool to check store availability. Follow this link, then click on Check Availability.

#5 Rafagon, Dec 20, 2016
  6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

AirPods: Waterproof? Drop Test? Find out here.

Also, Australian fitness and tech enthusiast Daniel García has put the AirPods through their paces. Will they fall out of one’s ears while running?

His conclusion: "So in my run today I sprinted, ran down and up a mountain, in the heat and wind and more. I filmed the process (and some sexy Hasselhoff slow-motion of course) and here it is with my review and thoughts at the end. Hope this helps the rest of you.”

Follow the above link to see the full article and view the video.

#6 Rafagon, Dec 20, 2016
  7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This just in via Reddit user watchawatch. If you have an incoming call while using your AirPods, you’ll see an AirPod icon on your Apple Watch.

95t2cH6.jpg

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Just picked up a set of Apple Airpods new and sealed in the box from Craigslist. I love the tech in them. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that sound a bit better than the Airpods, but the Airpods' convenience is awesome.

10. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Full retail price??

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I paid a bit more because of availability and Craigslist. Very happy with them, though.

Mindi made the mistake of letting me try hers out a few weeks ago. I really didn't think I'd like them.

12. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I'm surprised that demand is still that high for them.

13. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I walk to the Apple store yesterday, and they have them in stock.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's cool, but the Apple stores around me in the civilized world were out of them. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Baller

Baller Member
    Bronze

Mine only shows the pods, or the case as well