Airport connectivity issues

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
So I've been having some connectivity issues with the wireless network at my school with my snow leopard macbook. I can connect to the actual network but when I do it says that "airport has a self assigned ip address and cannot connect to the internet." I've googled around for this and it seems many have ahd the problem but nearly everything dates back to around 2004 in the ibook days and there never seems to be any kind of specific fix for it. Obviously I cannot reset the schools router and I never have this problem at home, only at school. Anyone have any fix for this or where to start?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Can you take a screenshot? Does it give you this error after you select the access point from the menu bar? Is the access point encrypted? If so what kind of encryption?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'll try and take a screenshot next time I'm on campus. The network is encrypted. It is WPA2 Enterprise. It gives me the message as soon as I am connected in network preferences.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
there are a few things you can try, but most likely there's some type of security in place preventing you from getting an IP. MAC address filtering will have that effect, but on a large network like that, they probably don't use it.

in Network preferences, try creating a new location:

click "edit locations" here

then the "+"

Call it "school" or something, and try connecting again. If that doesn't work, i'd talk to the support at your school and make sure there aren't any security options you're missing. For example, they may use a proxy server, so you'd have to add its IP into your network settings.