Alarm clock app

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by missygal, Jan 11, 2011.

1. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

What app ate you using for your alarm clock? I'm looking fir a good one!

2. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Currently using the alarm on the stock clock, but just downloaded "nightstand" from the app store. Free - I'll tell you more tomorrow if it wakes me up. ha!

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Take a look in the app store for Alarmed
    It's a great freebie.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

4. Jet0042

Jet0042 New Member

Tried nightstand last night, works well but really uses the battery. Turned it on at 12:30 am and the low battery alarm sounded at 7:30 am still a great app, I am just going to plug it in the charging cable when I travel!

5. Caspercom

Caspercom New Member

Sleep cycle. It's not exactly an alarm clock, as you have to put your device next to your pillow with the screen down, but it knows thanks to the accelerometer when you're closest to waking up and plays the alarm at that point (at most 30 minutes before you really have to wake up).

…this thread just reminded me that I have to get up again in about 5 hours. G'night people! *sets up alarm*

6. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Nightstand is working good for me the last couple nights. However, I have it plugged in and charging on my bedside table so I can't speak to the battery drain.

7. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Gonna try that "alarmed" too. Great reviews in the app store!

8. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

I like it so far!

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

What app do you use to wake you up in the morning? The stock alarm works fine, but I'm looking for a replacement. It's not that there is anything wrong with the stock alarm, just I find it too basic. This could be said for quite a few of the stock apps.. Reminders, Calendar, Camera, Passbook just to name a few.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I rarely use alarms. Europa, however, is in love with the damned snooze function. :)

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I use the alarm in the stock clock app. I have it set to play Sweet Home Alabama. I've tried a couple of alarm clock apps, but they have to stay on all night using battery.

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It was my favorite function too until I came to the realization that the day was being wasted.

#12 silvermoon, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

14. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks chris. I'll take a look.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What doesn't it do that you would like it to do? It's works great for me. It's very reliable. I wouldn't want to have to worry about a third party app closing for various reasons and therefore not waking me up.

16. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It didn't work for me this morning. I set the alarm for 7 am and went to bed at 5 am. I woke up at 11:30 am so I can't even be sure the alarm went off. This has happened on another occasion where I set the alarm thinking I'll wake up on time and then I sleep through the alarm.

17. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

The alarm symbol was showing next to the clock. In the past, I have used Siri to set alarms. This one I set manually.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's usually user error. The only exception is the Daylight Savings bug on recurring alarms that has affected Apple users. That was resolved long ago, though. You may have forgotten to toggle it on after setting the time. If it had gone off and you didn't hear it, you'd see the snooze button on the screen when you woke up even if it was hours later and the sound had stopped playing. It plays for fifteen minutes and then stops if there is no response. Another possibility is that you didn't have the volume up. The phone can be muted, but the volume depends on how you have it set.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Be sure the volume is all the way up and the phone is nearby. If the max volume isn't loud enough to wake you, a third party app won't help. You'll need to get a loud alarm clock in that case.

20. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I checked the volume and it was half way up, but I suspect as you said that it was user error. Most likely, I forgot to toggle the alarm after I set it. Siri does this for you automatically so I probably was too tired to notice.