Alarm Clock Fail

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
It seems that the Alarm Clock relies on the iPod volume and ringer, can't it just go from a low tone to a high tone, like the old Nokias?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If you turn down your volume when on your springboard or in ringer settings, this will change the volume at which your alarm will come out at.

Thats why I have my volume set to max or the phones on silent. There is no in between for me.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Yeh I figured, I wonder if there's a way to change it so it has it's own values. :)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
What do you mean by it's own values?

Are you saying that if you were to turn the ringer down, it wouldn't affect your alarm volume?

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yes that's what he is saying. On Palm and WM devices you could get alarm apps with independent volume control which was great because you could be assured that your alarm volume stayed constant.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Well if thats the case, I've just done a quick search on the app store and there is one that's called: aWake!SimplyPro

Even if the phone is on silent the alarm will still sound.

That was easy enough lol.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
No there are lots of them but they don't work in the background so your phone is on all night long. The stock alarm will sound even when the switch on the phone is on silent. The problem is when you've turned the volume down because the stock clock isn't free from the overall system volume settings. So every night before bed you have to push the up volume rocker to make sure it's on max.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Two things..

1st. I know these apps don't work in the background, thereforee you have to launch them before you go to bed, even though the screen shuts off the app is still running. I think I speak for most here when I say 90% of us charge our phones over night. So there really isn't an issue there.

2nd. If your going to turn the volume down why don't you simple put the phone on silent. This way your alarm will still go off in the morning.

There is another way, but it just depends whether you want to mess around changing the volumes of things. You can ssh into the device and make whichever audio file you like with a lower volume. Therefore not having this problem, but when you want your phone loud it wont be. Unless you want two copies of the same tone saved at different volumes.

This seems a little crazy to me, especially when it's just something small.

On a totally neutral point of view, they could bring in profiles for different locations... just a thought.