Alarm clock ip5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by leggz2di4, Oct 18, 2012.

1. leggz2di4

leggz2di4 Member
    Bronze

I set my alarm clock last night for the first time to wake me up at 6am and then I turned off my phone as I usually do at night. Does the alarm not go off if the phone is turned off? Or am I missing a setting?

iPhone5 finally!
    Loving my iPad 2.

2. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

No the phone must be on for alarm to work. If you don't wont phone to ring you can use the do not disturb function on what I do is put in airplane mode.

3. Jsims1

Jsims1 Member
    Bronze

If you power down the phone then I believe that the alarm doesn't go off. Of course, I never power down my phone unless I am just resetting it. There is no need to. Is there a specific reason you power down your phone at night?

4. leggz2di4

leggz2di4 Member
    Bronze

Thanks so much for your replies. Yes, i always turn my cell off at night to charge. Anybody that needs to reach me will just call my house phone and when I get home I use my iPad for everything else.

iPhone5 finally!
    Loving my iPad 2.

5. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I noticed this also actually with iOS 4 It used to turn on when i shut it off now with ios5 and 6 it doesn't do that anymore.

6. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

Leave it on charge overnight and run an alarm clock app. Plenty of good ones out there that gibe you loads of options. I can't see why anyone would switch their phone off overnight....

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I never turn off my iPhone to charge. I always charge it in sleep mode, and that way it also backs up to iCloud, and the alarm clock works.

8. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

The best bet is to use the Do Not Disturb mode. My wife works nights (ER nurse) and she is sleeping during the day. That was one of the best upgrades for her. She can now rest in peace and still have her alarm on to wake her up. She also has it set for me to be able to reach her if need be with the multiple call in a certain amount of time.

I agree with everyone else about turning your phone off. Why?

9. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

In case you do not have the do not disturb function, you can simply switch the iPhone to mute and the phone will not ring but the alarm will sound.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I can't really think of a good reason to turn it off at night. It will charge just fine while it's in standby. I've left my iPhones on 24/7 since my first one in 2008. I reboot, but that's it. I don't like to be woken up either, so I turn the mute switch on. The only sounds that will play when the mute switch is on is the alarm. You can also use the Do Not Disturb function.

11. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I guess some people think being on 24/7 can harm the phone.

12. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Can you charge it & it be off?

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes. Plug it in first and then turn it off.

14. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

When I was having battery issues with the i5 before they exchanged it, I was told by the person who assisted me that I had a corrupted backup because I don't turn off my phone every single day.

15. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I never turned off any of my iPhones(2G,4, 4S and now 5). Why would you want to turn it off?

16. leggz2di4

leggz2di4 Member
    Bronze

So much great advice,thanks again everybody. I guess I just figure if the phone is getting no use overnight why leave it on. But I will try leaving it On the next few nights and see if its a big deal or not.

iPhone5 finally!
    Loving my iPad 2.

17. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

That's to most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Leaving your phone "on" will in no way hurt the phone. I've had iPhones since 2007, have never turned them off except to restart and ice never had a major problem. You may have a battery problem and/or a bad backup, but this has nothing to do with your phone staying on. You got some really bad advice.

To the OP: keep your phone on overnight and don't worry about it. It will fully charge in a few hours. As others have mentioned, use Do Not Disturb or mute the phone overnight if you don't want to take calls/texts...

18. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

There is no reason to ever turn your phone off. The only suggestion by Apple is to allow your phone to drain down the battery to 0% and shut off itself once a month to help preserve the battery. Do I do it? No. I did it when I remembered but can't remember when I did it the last time. lol