Album Art on iPhone and iPod Touch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
In the early days of pioneer Napster and other P2P music "sharing" programs, when there was still much debate about the legality of P2P music file sharing, I did my fair share of downloading (yep, guilty as charged). Back then, very few of the mp3 files had their album arts embedded and I have generally done without them. Most mp3 players' displays for album art are too small, anyway.

Then came Cover Flow on the iPhone and my perception of album art took a 180 degrees turn. On the iPhone, it's more than eye candy. It gives your collection a "completeness". Now I'm voraciously scouring "the Internets" for album arts for my oldest mp3 files. My taste in music is eclectic, so I have a lot of hunting to do.

The other day I stumbled on a program called FixTunes which automates the process of fixing the music tags including adding album art. It's accuracy on my collection is in the high 80s and I'm sure it could have been higher if my collection weren't so diverse. I paid for the program mainly to get album art and highly recommend it, especially if your collection is in the 5 figures range, as mine is.

The iPod was the least used function on my iPhone until I played around with Cover Flow. Now, iPhone has finally become my first true convergence device. I yearn for the day it would have a much bigger storage than it does now.

My guests have arrived. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I use Amazon to get album art for songs I imported from DCs; they have just about every album under the rainbow.

And it's the same size as iTunes'.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I have had fun finding pictures for songs that didn't have them. I like putting weird Radiohead art I find on the net in place of the original album covers.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Nice suggestions and I use them all and others like Rhapsody and the Artists' own discographies because I always prefer the original album arts and failing that, I settle for the album art on the "Best of", "Ultimate Collection", "The Very Best of" CDs - you know how that goes...