ALERT! RF Interference!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 3, 2007
Has anyone noticed what I have noticed? That the iPhone periodically (every few minutes or so) sends out RF signals that cause buzzing in nearby devices with speakers....for example in a speaker phone in my Panasonic telephone handset or the speaker in the docking station for my Iridium sat phone?

The reason I believe that the iPhone causes the buzzing is that the buzzing gets much louder when I move the iPhone near the device. I have turned off Bluetooth and WiFi in the iPhone but the buzzing continues.

Any ideas?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Most cell phones do this, at least the ones I've had in the past. Ever seen those pens you can get with a light that'll light up when you get a call, yet they aren't attached to the phone? They take advantage of the phone's circuitry that essentially "leaks" RFI when a call comes in. Just keep it away from your speakers if the buzzing bothers you.

Oct 3, 2007
Most cell phones do this, at least the ones I've had in the past. Ever seen those pens you can get with a light that'll light up when you get a call, yet they aren't attached to the phone? They take advantage of the phone's circuitry that essentially "leaks" RFI when a call comes in. Just keep it away from your speakers if the buzzing bothers you.
Better yet...keep it away from my brain!

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Yupp, this is more common with GSM phones than CDMA, but unfortunately is normal. I just learned to keep my phones at least 4 feet away from any speakers/receivers.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
the iPhone is nothing compared to all nextels.... I would
Have the phone on the dock on my window sill and I would get interference with my radio that was on the other side of the room over 12 feet away... It was kind of cool because I would be watching something real loud or playing a game and know I have a call coming in before the phone even rang...

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I could set my old LG phone in front of my PC and you could actually hear the cell phone querying the tower in pulses by the up and down tones, over my PC speakers, of the interference. Spooky.

Also during meetings where we used one of those triangular speaker desk phones you can hear cells phone query. Annoying.