Aliens and the Unknown

Mar 2, 2009
California
For as long as I can remember, things about the unknown have always been fascinating, yet disturbing to me. I'm hoping this thread can bring some interesting discussions about whether aliens and other creatures exist or not, and what the government knows about them.

I tried doing this topic a while back without much luck, so I'm hoping that will change this time around. Please, keep comments clean so that we can have an enjoyable discussion without the possibility of the thread being closed.

To get things started, while browsing YouTube I came across an interesting couple of videos I thought I'd share.

What do you think? Was the first video genuinely real expressing a real emotion of fear, or was it indeed a hoax as outlined in the second video?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I don't believe in aliens that are like human size. I do believe in there are other microorganisms. I love astronomy. And have done a lot of research on it. I think the government knows no more then NASA does, or us. And I believe we need to keep investing 100% in space.

Ozzie5374

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Country South Australia
Yeah. As Jodie Foster says in the movie "Contact" - it would be an awful waste of space if there wasn't other life out there. Good movie too.
Have you heard about chaos theory? All things come together by chance and create an "event". It must have happened elsewhere in the universe. Which reminds me.....I must go and check my lotto ticket from Saturday. 

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
It looks like a big waste of space if we are the only ones in the universe doesn't it? What if million of years away there is another kind of man, kind of like us but way smarter, way more sophisticated, able to do things we will never be able to do. That I do believe. I'm sure someone is watching us. As far as alien sighting, I don't know, it seam kind of strange it only happens in the south lol

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I believe there is intelligent life on other planets, but because of the immense distances between Earth and the closest hospitable planets, I don't think they have ever traveled here or are even aware of us. Our first radio waves haven't even left the galaxy. If we ever do make contact, I wonder what effect it will have on organized religion.

The Known Universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
May 22st it won't matter. We will all be reset and starting anew.

May 21st end of the world. I believe it. It was on a billboard.

Aug 31, 2010
I don't know what I believe. I'm open to either existence or non-existence. It would be pretty cool if there was another "Earth" but I tend to agree more with Mac that microorganisms are more plausible. Who knows though? The truth is out there ;) (sorry, someone had to pull that out).

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think it's highly probable given certain conditions over time. There are trillions of stars in billions of galaxies in the observable universe. There are more than 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone; roughly 500 million of them could be located in habitable zones of their parent stars. The odds of there *not* being something out there are extremely low. And if life exists elsewhere, why is it so hard to believe it could evolve into intelligent life?

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
May 22st it won't matter. We will all be reset and starting anew.

May 21st end of the world. I believe it. It was on a billboard.
If your referring to the end of the Mayan calendar, thus the end of us, it's December 21, 2012
Never heard about May 21st. ?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think it's highly probable given certain conditions over time. There are trillions of stars in billions of galaxies in the observable universe. There are more than 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone; roughly 500 million of them could be located in habitable zones of their parent stars. The odds of there *not* being something out their are extremely low. And if life exists elsewhere, why is it so hard to believe it could evolve into intelligent life?
I couldn't agree more with this statement. I'm a firm believer that we can't be the only species in this galaxy or the next, who has evolved to become what we are today. We cannot be the only planet which supports life...

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
If your referring to the end of the Mayan calendar, thus the end of us, it's December 21, 2012
Never heard about May 21st. ?
Nope this is something different. Someone else's idea.
I am just putting it out there for everyone. That way if it does happen your last thought will be damn rugaby was right. I personally believe it will be sooner than later. The earth/universe/higher being seems to have a way of resetting everything when it is time. I am ok with it if it happens this month.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Does illegal aliens count or is that a different topic?

Mar 2, 2009
California
I think it's highly probable given certain conditions over time. There are trillions of stars in billions of galaxies in the observable universe. There are more than 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone; roughly 500 million of them could be located in habitable zones of their parent stars. The odds of there *not* being something out there are extremely low. And if life exists elsewhere, why is it so hard to believe it could evolve into intelligent life?
Great post.

Now, lets pretend for a minute there is life out there such as alien beings. Should we fear them? Does anyone believe they're harmless? Are they here to help, or are they against us completely?

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Great post.

Now, lets pretend for a minute there is life out there such as alien beings. Should we fear them? Does anyone believe they're harmless? Are they here to help, or are they against us completely?
If they are out there I believe they are smarter than us. They have adapted to whatever environment is out there and survived for who knows how long. Hopefully some day we can learn from them as they will learn from us.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Great post.

What if they're asking exactly the same questions?