Aliens and the Unknown

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
+1. Need like function in Tapatalk.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
It's not tapatalk, it's the Android phone ;)
I'm on tapatalk right now.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
... The Universe is so massive a few handful of scientists opinions/research cannot simply be the end all, fact, has to be this way because any other is wrong...
That the universe is massive is no where near a valid argument for pseudo-science and whimsy having any credibility beyond neat or creatively interesting, to put it nicely.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Aug 31, 2010
I guess it's fun to pretend and think outside the box, but if it goes against what science has proven to be true, I can't take it seriously.

We may not have all the answers, but some of those thoughts are improbable and silly, such as humans being placed here as an experiment.

Reason and science are my guidelines and deep knowledge is my objective. I'd rather adjust my views based on what's observed, however tiny and insignificant it makes me feel, than deny the validity of these observations just to feel reassured and superior.
And that's your prerogative. The point is that we all base our beliefs on different things. Scientific evidence is what's important to you in shaping your understanding of our life here. I find it humorous that you continue to state that people who believe otherwise do so to feel superior.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
And that's your prerogative. The point is that we all base our beliefs on different things. Scientific evidence is what's important to you in shaping your understanding of our life here. I find it humorous that you continue to state that people who believe otherwise do so to feel superior.
Denying observation so beliefs can be preserved is humorous. Assuming we are are the only intelligent lifeforms in the universe is arrogant. If you found out today that there were numerous other species of intelligent life in the universe, some much more advanced than our own, wouldn't you feel less superior? Maybe people don't do it purposefully to feel superior, but it is a result of denying the possibility that there is other intelligent life out there.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Denying observation so beliefs can be preserved is humorous. Assuming we are are the only intelligent lifeforms in the universe is arrogant. If you found out today that there were numerous other species of intelligent life in the universe, some much more advanced than our own, wouldn't you feel less superior? Maybe people don't do it purposefully to feel superior, but it is a result of denying the possibility that there is other intelligent life out there.
It isn't arrogant. Why should I believe other life forms exist without proof? How is me believing there isn't any different than believing there is? My superiority is based on being the only being that does exist. It has nothing to do with not believing in something that doesn't exist.

Aug 31, 2010
It isn't arrogant. Why should I believe other life forms exist without proof? How is me believing there isn't any different than believing there is? My superiority is based on being the only being that does exist. It has nothing to do with not believing in something that doesn't exist.
Indeed. Contradictions are fun.

Aug 31, 2010
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I am open to all opinions or sides. I don't believe everyone is and the comfort zone I was referring to was theirs.
But I don't agree that belief in your own opinion is being in a "comfort zone."

I believe that the sun rises in the east. If that's my "comfort zone," then fine. I'm perfectly willing to hear other arguments, but they're not going to change my mind.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
It isn't arrogant. Why should I believe other life forms exist without proof? How is me believing there isn't any different than believing there is?
I'm not saying you in particular, but there is the difference in that the first usually has a connection to ego and seeing ourselves as special above all others while the latter usually requires a humility and acceptance of being smaller or more common in our own perceived order to the universe, which of itself really has little to no bearing on truth.
My superiority is based on being the only being that does exist.
This is funny and I assume an unintentional mis-statement but if you are admitting to a sense of superiority then I'm confused, what is your argument again about "It isn't arrogant"?
It has nothing to do with not believing in something that doesn't exist.
Another funny statement. Believing that it doesn't exist despite likelihood is your prerogative. Would your statement have been better stated as - it has everything to do with believing in only what you know to exist beyond a shadow of doubt or the requirement of faith - would you consider this synonymous with the last quote above?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Because of the immense distances involved, they likely don't know we're here or have any way of getting here or sending a message. The closest star is more than 4 light years away (trillions of miles).

There is no evidence or proof of a supreme being, either, but you believe that.

Because you are denying a possibility.

Case in point. If you are certain you're part of a group that is the only being, you "are" superior.

Aug 31, 2010

I believe that the sun rises in the east. If that's my "comfort zone," then fine. I'm perfectly willing to hear other arguments, but they're not going to change my mind.
Nor should they. But being told that the opinion that there is no extraterrestrial life is adopted because we don't want to feel small and insignificant is just another variation of the "comfort zone" argument. Like you said, it goes both ways.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto

Nor does it change the truth of the matter, irrespective of human argument and interpretation.