'All Contacts' List not displaying like demos

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

patrick

Jul 16, 2007
Hello All,

Picked up an 8gig a couple of days ago, and for the most part have enjoyed the features and, for the time being, learned to live with the negatives (such as proprietary recessed headphone jack). Overall I am quite satisfied. Here is one hurtle which I hope you the community can help me with:

Since activating the phone I have added all of my contacts manually and each subsequently took it's alphabetical place on the 'All Contacts' list. The last name being in bold. However, there is no separation between different lettered last names like the promo images, and even the Apple.com/iPhone demos show. Also at the very top my telephone number is listed as My Number in grey.

For example my iPhone 'All Contacts' might read as follows:
My Number 1-(xxx)xxx-xxxx
Mark Apple
Bruce Benson
etc.

Instead of:
A
Mark Apple

B
Bruce Benson

etc.
Did they remove this functionality? Or is there a way that I have not yet found to turn this on?

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
it's there, but I did notice when I was putting in my contacts it was not showing up like that until I added more contacts. Maybe you don't have enough contacts in there for it to deem the Alphabetic Seperators necessary? I'm not sure though.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
For example my iPhone 'All Contacts' might read as follows:
My Number 1-(xxx)xxx-xxxx
Mark Apple
Bruce Benson
etc.

Instead of:
A
Mark Apple

B
Bruce Benson

etc.
Did they remove this functionality? Or is there a way that I have not yet found to turn this on?
Go into the settings for the contacts. You can change it so you have FIRST/LAST or LAST/FIRST. You can also set it up so it goes by first name but each name under the letter has last/first.

fredthedog

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
you need something like 50 contacts for it to start breaking it up into letter groups. Otherwise they figure its not hard to scroll through 20 names.

patrick

Jul 16, 2007
I have 36 contacts and it's splitting for me.

@patrick: How many do you have in there?

Haha, well I do only have 15 since I had to recall them from my memory, as apposed to importing them. Thanks all for clearing this up. Hopefully more contacts will result in the divisions.

Only other major software concern I now have is with the usage indicator.

Last night I drained the battery until to screen only displayed a almost low red battery saying that I must connect it to power. Charged it from 1am to 10 am today, and before I took it off of the cradle I was happy to see that the lighting bolt had been replaced by the plug symbol. I hoped that this would be enough to reset the usage 'Time since last full charge'; however, it still says 'Usage times will be shown after full charge.' Is restore the only option for me?

Cheers,

Patrick

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
yes I'm sure once you have more contacts the split will show up. As far as the battery thing goes. I couldnt help you there, as long as your getting good battery life I wouldn't worry about what the Usage Stats say.

patrick

Jul 16, 2007
yes I'm sure once you have more contacts the split will show up. As far as the battery thing goes. I couldnt help you there, as long as your getting good battery life I wouldn't worry about what the Usage Stats say.

Battery life seems to be about a days worth of multiple 5 min + calls libral usage of internet, mail, and text messaging. I *think* it is ok, but it would be nice to have some statistics to verify my claims.