All my text messages missing after restore from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Duck1098, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

ALL text messages are all missing after a COMPLETED restore. My messages box is completely empty. Tried twice. Latest software. Tried with an iphone 6 and 6s, no dice. 3 years of text messages. Where could they be? I've backed up my phone many times before and never had this issue after a restore.

2. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

Just noticed it shows 3.9 GB of messages in my storage but the messages aren't there. This is strange.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Was it iTunes or iCloud back up?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Go to Settings > Messages > and log in with the correct email address/Apple ID. Both your phone number and email address should have a check next to them.

5. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

Everything is correct. I've opened a case with apple care.. Another strange thing is when I restart my phone all the text messages that I've sent after the restore get wiped lol. I can't believe I'm using this garbage for my business phone. So ready to switch to android.

6. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

I just thought of something. I put my sim in a new iphone last week and created a new apple ID and used that phone temporary for a week. Do you think that has something to do with these issues?

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, that's probably it. Try the other Apple ID.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This thread over at Apple Support Forums may pertain to you, if you're attempting the restore from iCloud.

Note that I haven not read the entire thread, as it is a fairly long one, but it seems a number of people are experiencing the same issue as you. Some of those are experiencing it after receiving a replacement iPhone. I don't know if you fall into this category. One person claims that he or she "spent 6 hours with the geniuses and no one thinks this is a big issue!!!!"

I hope some of the information will be useful to you.

9. Duck1098

Duck1098 Member
    Bronze

Thank you! I guess I'm not the only one. Please get the work out to everyone to not use iCloud back up till they fix this issue!!! Use iTunes for now

10. love1344story

love1344story New Member

All of shortcuts(replacement text) be hidden in new update iOS, how can I solve it now?

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They should be there. Try first a hard reset.
    Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

If that doesn't work try Reset All Settings.
    Reset All Settings
    Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

If that doesn't work, you may need to restore your phone as new.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Add your shortcuts back in manually by pressing the plus sign here:
    Settings > General > Keyboards > Text Replacement